Holy egg cases shark man

ac

Ok it's not quite as exciting as it sounds. I have a 320 with a bamboo and epaullette shark. I was doing my normal feeding routine tonight and noticed what I thought was a clump of algae. It turns out it's an egg case. The question is which female shark did it come from. The egg case is about 3 inches long. Both the bamboo and the epaullette lay similar looking egg cases. I'm assuming due to its small size it's from the epaullette. Unfortunately no male no baby shark. I wonder what the stud fee is for a shark
I've attached a picture. Any opinions or comments would be welcome. Has anyone else had this happen in their tanks?

ac

Ok now I'm doubting myself. Anyone know how I can for sure tell if it was the epaullette or the bamboo that layed the egg? Now it's time for the experts to chime in and I'm all ears. The epaullette is about 18 inches long and the bamboo is about 24.:confused: :confused: :confused:

gasguzzler

Alright, the eppy sounds too small to me to be mature enough to lay eggs. On the other hand bamboo eggs, on the average, are about 4-6" when layed. From experience Im going to go with the bamboo due to the size of her. How long have you had them both? They can store sperm from the wild and reproduce again in captivity routinely. Happened to me once.

ac

I'm tending to agree that it was the bamboo. She was hatched in a local school so I don't think that the egg is fertile. I've had the eppy about 1.5 years and the bamboo about a year. I think the bamboo is just on the edge of sexual maturity. This being her first egg could explain the size. That and maybe the lack of a male present may be a reason for the undersized egg.

guineawhop

that doesn't look like a bamboo shark egg to me at all. i've got one in my 180 and it is brownish blackish in color and is about 6 inches long. i would put money on the smaller shark

gasguzzler

You have to remember that it is quite fresh. Once you see them in the aquarium trade, they are already a few months old. All of mine have looked like above but larger when layed.

cincyreefer

That is awesome AC! Just shows how choosing the right tank size, tankmates, and correct care for the sharks can make them horny!
I would have to guess its the bamboo as well, for pretty much same reasons you guys have come up with. You definitely need to add some testosterone in that tank though!

unknown

I think It is kinda funny how gasguzzler is like the pimp, and he is pimping his male bamboo shark around LOL.
Don't hate the playa hate the game. LOL

That is awsome news AC. My buddy has six tanks and his sharks are producing eggs all the time. He is now making money off the eggs.
Vince.
Good Luck.

ac

Well there is no doubt now. I just witnessed the bamboo laying her 4th egg. Very cool:happy: