home depot is a dangerous place

stdreb27

Nah, it had a farm of nutria, that run in hamster wheels, to power it.
I think it runs off of a couple huge diesel motors.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3171524
There should be no problem with the wife. Now she can go to the mall without worry just to pick up a new tablecloth for Thanksgiving dinner, but come out of the mall with some new holiday clothes, maybe some festive holiday dishes that can be enjoyed by the whole family, and, of course, a few other items....just for herself.

forget the table cloth she just went for a new entry door and carpeting in the hallway (to match her new curtains)..........

scsinet

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3172800
"hey this fuse keep blowing"
"try a bigger fuse, that usually fixes it."
By the way... the thought occured to me... what are you going to do when you have to tell your wife that you still need a tank, helmet, etc?

reefkprz

got everything I needed in one go. nothing to explain but the bill. Though I am probably going to upgrade my helmet at some point to one with adjustable tint level and tint/off delay settings. I hate it when you get flash from the auto tint clearing just as it re-arcs when welding rusty metal a 2 second delay would be better than the 1 second this mask has.

scsinet

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3173898
Mr. Mom. Ahhh what a great movie.
You're not a bum, are you daddy?
No but I'm working on it.
~~~~
Wanna beer?
It's seven o'clock in the morning!
............... Scotch?
Not during working hours. Oh....uhhh... sorry pal.
~~~~
Would you kids mind keeping it down? Nikki's getting her blood tests back today.
Whose the father?
We dunno... might be Kevin's.
Kevin's a skunk.
Yeah, but kevin gets all the girls.
He sure got nikki!
(it's funnier coming out of an 8 year old)
~~~~
Doris, this is my friend Joan.
(introducing herself): TV
~~~~
You Butler?
Yeah.
You gotta problem with your horizontal hold?
I don't know.
Well your wife says you do.
Well... she oughta know... comon in.
~~~~
You know, when your dad was in the Army, we hadda run a tight ship.
There were no ships in the army!

reefkprz

well the new tools came in handy today, I tore the steering rack out of her car and put a new one in, in about an hour. would have taken way longer with just hand ratcheting everything.
Oh yeah did I tell you guys I got that compressor (20g high recovery) and a set of impact tools 1/2" air gun 3/8s" air ratchet and a die cutter. soooo nice to have. already welded 2 exhausts too. this is really going to pay off in the long run.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3174468
well the new tools came in handy today, I tore the steering rack out of her car and put a new one in, in about an hour. would have taken way longer with just hand ratcheting everything.
Oh yeah did I tell you guys I got that compressor (20g high recovery) and a set of impact tools 1/2" air gun 3/8s" air ratchet and a die cutter. soooo nice to have. already welded 2 exhausts too. this is really going to pay off in the long run.
How did you get out of the depot with a bottle? You running the flux core wire?
I have used many welding helmets. Even though the viewing area isn't that big, I must say that my favorite one is the Optrel. You never have to worrie about turning it on, it is always ready to go. The shades are adjustible from 5 to 13 and it has a grind feature, to keep the lense from going dark while grinding. The sensors on the front are good to go as well. I have used the nice miller lids, $400 dollar speed glass, ect.... for an auto darking lid though, I say the Optrel.
Now, I must tell you that after going through all of the lids that I have purchased the one I use the most and have used everyday for the last 3 years straight. Is the standard 4x5 steady eddie. That's right, a 20 dollar Jackson. I am however going to go buy a new on tomorrow. The one I am going to get is made by Huntsman. The one made from heavy paper, it is a lot lighter then my current Jackson. It too will be a fixed shade 4x5 lense.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3174542
How did you get out of the depot with a bottle? You running the flux core wire?
I have used many welding helmets. Even though the viewing area isn't that big, I must say that my favorite one is the Optrel. You never have to worrie about turning it on, it is always ready to go. The shades are adjustible from 5 to 13 and it has a grind feature, to keep the lense from going dark while grinding. The sensors on the front are good to go as well. I have used the nice miller lids, $400 dollar speed glass, ect.... for an auto darking lid though, I say the Optrel.
Now, I must tell you that after going through all of the lids that I have purchased the one I use the most and have used everyday for the last 3 years straight. Is the standard 4x5 steady eddie. That's right, a 20 dollar Jackson. I am however going to go buy a new on tomorrow. The one I am going to get is made by Huntsman. The one made from heavy paper, it is a lot lighter then my current Jackson. It too will be a fixed shade 4x5 lense.
I use the hand held shield the most, but I want a great helmet for my frame welds that I am going to have to do for my go cart (with a suzuki 550 motor and transmission)and for the mods to my motorcycle mods. (just found all the steering and suspension parts I need). I need the welds spot on and perfect both in looks and integrity. you know how it is, build a go kart that can do over 100 mph you want the frame to hold together...... crazy I know.
yeah i'm running flux core wire. dont know if I'm all hot about it, doesnt seem to lay as consistent a bead as gas.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3174548
I use the hand held shield the most, but I want a great helmet for my frame welds that I am going to have to do for my go cart (with a suzuki 550 motor and transmission)and for the mods to my motorcycle mods. (just found all the steering and suspension parts I need). I need the welds spot on and perfect both in looks and integrity. you know how it is, build a go kart that can do over 100 mph you want the frame to hold together...... crazy I know.
yeah i'm running flux core wire. dont know if I'm all hot about it, doesnt seem to lay as consistent a bead as gas.
I picked up one of those Lincon welders from the depot once. I used it with the flux core wire as well. I would have to agree with you on it not laying down just right. I took the welder back to the store and bit the bullet and got a Miller 210. Nice machine. I have three welders now.

The hand held shields are nice. I just hold my lid like them to do quick things and the such. I just grew tired of getting flashed like you mentioned. If you get out of position, you get flashed. That is why I went back to the simple stand by. When welding on the tubing of your frame, you will want to turn up the snsitivity on your auto so you don't get flashed. I am sure you knew that though.
Being an aerospace welder I know about weld integrity. My welds are put under the microscope everyday. You dam@ sure don't need things to come apart. Not when going a 100 MPH. That might sting just a little
. A shop just down the road from me builds those racing carts. Man O man, they look like fun. I think I could kill an afternoon on one of them no problem.
I have developed a love and affection for TIG welding since working in the food and now aerospace industry. I have done my time in the trenches and now I am a wuss.
Something about going to and coming home clean, along with the fact that it is T-shirt weather all year long. Not everyone get to build airplane parts.

posiden

Oh, my neigbhor runs the same small lincon you got. He is running a small bottle on his. He has done a lot with his welder over there. He has a small auto business on the side. The only time he wasn't able to weld up something was an exhuast manifold. I did it for him with my stick unit and nickel rod. Those little machines like you have sure are nice to have.

reefkprz

I passed my cert for 1 inch vert welds. didnt bother with going for overhead. (I mostly weld overhead anyhow, thats how I passed my vert weld test it was too easy). I'm definatly no aerospace welder. not by any stretch. but I'm a good hack at glueing steel.
ever weld two beer cans together?
or better yet, cast Iron? <Pain in the a..

posiden

http:///forum/post/3174619
I passed my cert for 1 inch vert welds. didnt bother with going for overhead. (I mostly weld overhead anyhow, thats how I passed my vert weld test it was too easy). I'm definatly no aerospace welder. not by any stretch. but I'm a good hack at glueing steel.
ever weld two beer cans together?
or better yet, cast Iron? <Pain in the a..
Nice. 1" plate can be tricky to get together. Some think the thicker the more easy it is. Not so when they are looking for how well you tied in. My favorite for heavy stuff is dual shield. That stuff is cool. When tuned in right it will just stick up there. Hot, fast, and heavy. Bad A$$.
Beer cans.....NO
Cast iron......Yes
Have you welded razor blades? The sharp edges together?
I am qualified down to .011 of an inch in Inconel, Stainless, and Titanium. I weld quite regularly on .013 of an inch. I weld the tail cones for Pratt and Whitney engine, amongst other parts. The tail cones are for the F135 and the F119 engine.
If there is one thing I have learned, it is that welds don't have to look the part all the time to be strong. The important thing is a good clean fusion of the two parts. I have seen some pretty grizly looking welds on airplane parts. Maybe we shouldn't talk about that.

casper1875

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3173910
You're not a bum, are you daddy?
No but I'm working on it.
~~~~
Wanna beer?
It's seven o'clock in the morning!
............... Scotch?
Not during working hours. Oh....uhhh... sorry pal.
~~~~
Would you kids mind keeping it down? Nikki's getting her blood tests back today.
Whose the father?
We dunno... might be Kevin's.
Kevin's a skunk.
Yeah, but kevin gets all the girls.
He sure got nikki!
(it's funnier coming out of an 8 year old)
~~~~
Doris, this is my friend Joan.
(introducing herself): TV
~~~~
You Butler?
Yeah.
You gotta problem with your horizontal hold?
I don't know.
Well your wife says you do.
Well... she oughta know... comon in.
~~~~
You know, when your dad was in the Army, we hadda run a tight ship.
There were no ships in the army!
Now I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend.

Sorry reefkprZ I know new tools are exciting, but you have to love Mr. Mom.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3174628
Have you welded razor blades? The sharp edges together?
i have never tried. now I am going to have to. I'll let you know how it works out.
I have welded paper thin rusty metal back together. (just about any exhaust I have repaired, maine winters eat metal)
beer cans are a sheer nonsense to weld because the metal is so flimsy. with a tig its easy but with anything else its a real challenge. i reccomend trying it. just for giggles (if your at work use a soda can so they dont think your drinking on the job. LOL)

reefkprz

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3174706
Now I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend.

Sorry reefkprZ I know new tools are exciting, but you have to love Mr. Mom.
no worries this isnt what I would call a serious thread, a little thread jacking keeps it interesting.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3174735
i have never tried. now I am going to have to. I'll let you know how it works out.
I have welded paper thin rusty metal back together. (just about any exhaust I have repaired, maine winters eat metal)
beer cans are a sheer nonsense to weld because the metal is so flimsy. with a tig its easy but with anything else its a real challenge. i reccomend trying it. just for giggles (if your at work use a soda can so they dont think your drinking on the job. LOL)

Maybe soome day when I have the alum equipment out I will give it a try. I can imagine how tricky it might be. We don't do much in the way of alum at work. We build tools and fixtures out of it, but no real parts for anything.
What air compressor did you get? I got mine at Lowes and it will keep up with my plasma cutter and the impact guns, but if I use my da sander or the grinders I can out work it. Sucks the life right out of it. I should have looked a little more close to the SCFM rating.

reefkprz

I bought the husky 1.8HP 20g. 4.1 scfm @ 90PSI
in theory it should be sufficient for what I do. definatly wouldnt keep up with a DA sander. not many portable compressers will.