home depot metal halide

lawnboy

Just built canopy & ordered VHO retro. Was at Home Depot and saw Phillips Metal Halides (175w) in fixtures with ballast for $80. Can I add these to my canopy or are they the wrong Kelvin? What about scrapping the bulbs? If the bulbs are wrong will the fixtures/ballasts work with the bulbs I need? Thanx to anyone who has answers for me.

mr . salty

You are right,the bulbs will be the wrong kelvin.But if the socket is the same(it should be) you can order the correct bulbs for it onlune....

lawnboy

Thanx for the reply Mr Salty. If I can get bulbs with a color temp of 5000k can I up vho bulbs to make up for the low kelvin of the halide or will I be better off to get 10000k Halide and lower vho's.
Just upped my tank from 55 to 125. built oak stand and canopy(14" tall ok for halide?)only lights I have are a 48" csl smart-lite and 40w actinic. 320w 72" vho kit on the way. Want sufficient light for hard corals.

johnnysalt

Lawnboy,
Was it a different brand of fixture? I'll be at HD tomorrow and would like to already know what name to look for. Thanks!
:cool:

lawnboy

Can't reccomend the Home Depot version for now. fixture takes med. base bulb and the hamiltons that my LFS use are mogul base(large) I have not found bulbs over 4500K for med base 175w fixture. I'm going to look for ballasts and fixtures that I can put together or just shell out the bucks for a retro kit. Know any cheap sites? Thanx

lawnboy

Thanx for the link. I already ordered Icecap 175 and a 10k bulb. Thats it for me on light for this one.
125gal
2 24" pc's @ 65w(smartlite)
2 72" vho @ 160w (icecap)
1 AB 10K halide @175w
1 48" actinic 40w
Think I'll put halide in center and smart pc on each end. As you can see I couldn't decide what type of lights to use so I'll go with all of them. Thanks for all the pointers. you guys have a great forum.

coralfishg2

they sell mh ballasts from 1000bulbs.com, that run 1 250w bulb for 37.50$. they offer many more than just that one though. I am in the process of figuring everything out about a ballast from home depot that I found that runs your vho, the cost on them is 16-30$. if anyone has any info on them help whould be great, I have a 75 gallon tank that I am wanting two add two 48" vho attinic bulbs. the thing that I can't figure out is what ballast I need and if it will actually run the vho, or if it will only run no