home made fish food

larryndana

i believe beth(a mod) has a recipe in the Archives and Faqs forum here. i have not used it yet, but will one of these days....when i get around to it.

gnorman

made two batches of it so far and my fish love it.
Scallops
Clam
Shrimp
* All of the above Raw
garlic
some seaweed
put in blender then freeze it. cut up into pieces and feed to fish.

hatessushi

I make my fish food also. Be carefull what you buy. Most packaged seafood has phosphates espeacialy at the fresh seafood counter. Just ask to see the bag it came iin and check the ingedients to make sure there are no phosphates.

lesleybird

There are those of us that like extra work........I'm not one of them, it's ok that you are. Heck I'm not one to answer as I don't even cook for myself! I have been temped to throw a crawfish into the tank for my majestic angel though. Lesley

earlybird

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
I make my fish food also. Be carefull what you buy. Most packaged seafood has phosphates espeacialy at the fresh seafood counter. Just ask to see the bag it came iin and check the ingedients to make sure there are no phosphates.
If it is fresh it should come on ice and shouldn't be bagged.

earlybird

Try to stay away from oily fish even salmon. You can add fish, shrimp, scallops, clams, squid, octopus, lettuce, carrots, etc.
I believe people say not to use mussles but can't remember why. Anyone confirm this?

earlybird

Originally Posted by larryndana
mussels?
i feed my stars mussels sometimes.
Maybe I'm thinking oysters? Makes the skimmer go even more crazy? I can't remember.

larryndana

Originally Posted by tranman777
Fish eating fish?...eewww...

Think about it. It's like Human cannabalism.
how do you think most survive in the ocean?

larryndana

Originally Posted by earlybird
Maybe I'm thinking oysters? Makes the skimmer go even more crazy? I can't remember.
ok, so its not an issue with them being bad to feed with....just makes skimmer crazy????

reefkprz

my homemade food consists of:
shrimp, white fish, haddock, nori, squid, octupus if I can get it. flying fish roe. some times fresh minced garlic and whatever else strikes my fancy at the seafood counter while shopping. except tuna or salmon they are really fatty and crap up water fast.

triga22

I want to make food so badly. When you blend it how do you get it from not being soupy. If its soup then it just pollutes the water. Also would this be a good combo. Shrimp, clam, nori, garlic, and some squid. What chopper bleder works best. I would like to buy a cheap one and I dont really want my smoothies to be made in the same place as some seafood.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I want to make food so badly. When you blend it how do you get it from not being soupy. If its soup then it just pollutes the water. Also would this be a good combo. Shrimp, clam, nori, garlic, and some squid. What chopper bleder works best. I would like to buy a cheap one and I dont really want my smoothies to be made in the same place as some seafood.
I use a food processer atachment for my blender, instead of the actual blender. if its too runny for my liking I pour the water off or sqeeze it in between some paper towel. but I imagine low speed setting on a blender would work too.

triga22

Alright. Do you think the small $10 cheapo food mincer would work? Let me try and find a picture.

reefkprz

I dont even need to see it. the answer is yes. a knife would work if you wanted to take the time to mince it all up by hand.