Home-made food recipe

browniebuck

Now that I have a larger tank (that I will hopefully get up and running sometime in the near future)...I am kind of interested in making my own frozen food for my fish (also finally got a food processor).
Does anybody have a recipe that they use?
I plan on having mostly "friendly" fishies (a couple tangs, a dwarf angel, possibly a large angel, a pair of clowns, maybe a reef safe wrasse, probably a school of something...either anthias or chromis), a mandarin (down the road), a bunch of shrimp (fire & skunk), some emerald crabs, some anemone/porcelain crabs, hermits, and snails...What should I feed this list?
And...regarding garlic, can I use plain garlic (just mince it to smithereens) or should I find some sort of garlic supplement at my LFS (I didn't see one on SWF's list)...

truperc

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/280472/home-made-fish-food
Have read that regular garlic is better then the supplements they sell for a higher cost.

browniebuck

Thanks for the link...I didn't see a whole lot of "this many shrimp, this many scallops, this many clams, this much garlic...etc..." though.
Does anyone have any recipes that include amounts?

deejeff442

dont bother with the garlic once it gets a few minutes old the stuff in it that is supposed to help the fish dies .it is still up in the air if fresh crushed galic actually helps the fish's ammune system or not.
garlic either fresh or in a bottle is good to help you get a fish to eat .
personally i dont think it does anything.
i make my own food.all i do is go to a thia or chineese food market and buy a pack of raw scallops,clams,shrimp and mussels whatever the bag holds goes in .i also add a small can of flake food,some nori and a half bottle of zoe.
dont blend it so much as to make it a paste just eneough to chop it up into small chunks.get some small ziplock bags put some of the food in and flatten it out.

arvins

This is what I use, thought it's not my recipe it came from another fishy site.
6 shrimp
1 crab leg
1 sole fillet
4 scallops
4 mussels
1 small chopped squid
Chopped Nori
3-4 Drops of Garlic Extract
Throw it all in a small blender for a few mins then put it in sandwich bags and freeze (I use one of the old trays from store bought food put this stuff in those then place it inside a ziploc and freeze)

pohtr

Is there any saltwater fish/invert ingredients that should be avoided? Or can you make this fish food out of just about anything that comes from the sea? I'm thinking meat, not vegs here.

J

jstdv8

I live in Alaska and am able to catch salmon and Halibut out of the ocean. would these be ok for food if I were to use scraps that werent big enough for human consumption?
Also for the salmon, im assuming that once they hit fresh water then they wouldnt be any good for food anymore due to saltwater nutrients being drained?