Home remodeling

wattsupdoc

We are constantly remodelling around here. For the last 5 -6 weeks I have been tackling the exterior of our home. This will be a great improvement. We will have all cedar board and batt, with some cedar shake and some 1x4 patterns mixed in a tad. We had some hail damage on fathers day this years and this is the start of this project we have talked about for some time. We will also have a stone veneer wall around the north end of the home and along the front. We made some improvements also on how the house breathes. Here's a few before pics, then some pics of the roof, soffit and facia after completing. We went with arcutecual shingles, these are called Barkwood, I don't remember the exact maker. Home Depot has them. I am currently working on the veneer, with some of the cedar up. Waiting for new windows to arrive any day now. I'll post more pics if I get a chance tonight.

jennythebugg

haha you sound like me i constantly have a project going on
i <3 remodeling though

the stone is a great idea thats going to be beautiful

wattsupdoc

Thanks!
It's really great out here. We've got 3 acres between my mother in law and me. Then there's the hundreds of pasture all around. With 80 acres of dense woodland behind us. We live just outside the city limits. I hunt in my back yard
Those metal boxes are roof vents. We replaced the old with new, then added a power attic vent. Those little brown boxes in the soffit are covers for my RGB LED lamps. There's 6 of them on the north end and the front of the house They change and co-ordinate with each other. There will be some rope lighting tucked up under a lip that will "cap off" the rock, just below the cedar. I got most the rock done on the north end today. I'll get some pics in the morning and post them.
Jenny, I have soooo many things going on around here it's a miracle I ever get anything done.
We have just about completely gone through this house. Just the master bed and bath after this is done. The retaining wall that looks like a pier, I did out of telephone poles
...freebie there
The dark wood around the bottom of the home was leftover knotty pine from a project I worked on. I've got a bunch of Australian Cypress flooring from that same project. The rock sidewlak is rock harvested from a house some of my wife's friends built. I've got to do some more work to it, it's kinda rough to walk on lol. Here's an old pic of my office.

It's no longer in that room.
But the room it's in looks just like that.
And that room now looks nothing like that.

wattsupdoc

I see, stupid me.

Allright heres some progression pics. First this is how it looked this morning after the coffee soaked in.

Back North corner.

North end most all this rock was done fri.

Front of house.

jennythebugg

oh yay im loving that are you going to paint / personally i like the wood loving the rock thats awesome take some aspirin when you go to bed so you dont wake up quite so sore in the morning . was it you alone or did ya have help? my 13 year old daughter helps me with all mine she loves projects

wattsupdoc

I had originally planned on doing rope lighting tucked under the cedar board that separates the rock from the board and batt. But I think now I'll go with some LED stair lighting. I just noticed at Lowes they have some quarter sized round LED light in the Malibu lighting line. Being as one of the major reasons for this project is to improve the energy efficiency of the home, LEDS are the preferred choice wherever accent lighting is desired. Also we changed out the old 175 watt MV dusk to dawn with a 65w light of America compact fluorescent and are defiantly happier with it. There will be improved crawlspace ventilation, as well as automated ventilation to move the warm air out of my office(where my 135 is).

wattsupdoc

I've been doing this project every day that the weather allows since the end of august. A little help every now and then, mostly myself.
No paint, this cedar is a lot prettier in person. I have seen many cedar houses and this batch here has to be the nicest I've seen. I will seal and protect all of it when done.

wattsupdoc

Thanks Jenny, your awesome.
I really like doing things when I can see the purpose, especially if I get to be creative. I don't like doing things and then redoing them. Seems like I do a lot of that around here. Do something then redo it 2 years later.
It's just pointless and expensive. This project though is nice. I love the cedar, and it smells freaking awesome.
Bugs hate it(termite resistant) and it wont rot. I have done many little creative projects already, the gable vents are all made custom, the "bird boxes" around the led bulbs, the notching the cedar around the rock on the north back corner. The thing is when I'm done I can do little things as I see fit to make it more interesting if I see fit. I'm sure I'll be doing a storage area off the back south end of the home, for the mower and my sons 4 wheeler. I'll probably shingle roof that, then do natural harvested trunks for the posts, who knows how else that will turn out. But it'll be neat. I'll be rocking around the fireplace flue, then recapping that. I'll use the same rock on the face of the house. I've got so many projects for around here it's unreal.

mimzy

WOW Watts that looks AMAZING!!!!!! I cannot believe you're doing all that yourself - it's really absolutely breathtaking!!! nothing like some fabulous curb-appeal to add some serious value to your home. And that cedar is only going to get more and more amazing as it ages.
absolutey, freaking, fabulous. amazing.
....so. how much do you charge and when can we expect you at our house?

chilwil84

love the eastern white board (stk)and batton look. i built a couple comercial fish buildings on lbi with that but we put a batton on the middle of each board making the flat part more narrow. i use those boards for outside shower doors down here on the jersey shore and love the way it weathers.

wattsupdoc

Thanks ya'll. This is not my trade, I'm a sparky by birth.
You should see my truck camper I've restored. pretty sweet. I'll be getting some more done today, so I'll post up pics later.
before

after

wattsupdoc

HEY PAUL!
Hows it? Long time to see buddy!. You noticed I finally got my pelican .
I got a tiny lil corn cob pipe for him yesterday and I found a LIl Indiana Jones hat for him.
I need an empty booze bottle to put at his feet. I'll epoxy it all in place and then spray it all down with some polyurethane or something to protect it all.
I'll get a good pic of him tomorrow. His name is Paul.