homemade spraybars

gregvabch

what's the best way to build a spraybar for my return from my wet/dry? i'm upgrading from my 55 to a pre-drilled 75, and right now i've just got a u-tube hung over the side of my 55 with a "horn" fitting on the end of it.

dreeves

PVC depending on size of your pumps output...a piece however long you want the bar to be...keeping in mind you will want some pressure coming from all the holes...a PVC cap for one end and elbows for the other to connect it to your return line...
The bar itself...I have found it best to drill with 3/16 bit a hole about every inch...you can drill the holes to direct water in different directions as well...

gregvabch

i'm using a mag7 for my return. so you're suggesting to use a T fitting, with a decent size piece of pvc stemming from it in both directions? also, what should i use to keep them in place? should i still use some sort of U fitting so that it can hang over the edge over the water?

S

slofish

i agree w/ dreeves on everything except drilling the holes in different directions, i think its best to keep all the holes parallel(same direction). I did the same w/ my old spray bar. 1/4 inch drilled holes every 1 inch, with an end cap to hold pressure.

dreeves

You would contruct the entire thing out of PVC...you would make a U portion out of 2, 90 deg elbows...
The size of the pump's output was to base the size of PVC to use...the Mag 7 has a 1/2" outlet..so use 1/2" PVC...
As for the holes being drilled in different directions...this creates different currents going to different places...will aid in the dispersal of dead spots...

foxthorn

I used the black sil-o-flex hose from HomeDepot cut to fit my 90gal .... then added a threaded fitting on one end and a cap on the other. Drilled 7 holes at 1/4inch diameter all in a straight line.
Here are a few pics....