Homer's New Tank Diary

clsimons29

Well we made a trip to Roswell and picked up a few things for my tank also put another online order in for supplies.
Roswell trip:
Hatian pink tip anemone
10 blue leg hermits
Pulsing Xenia - this sucker was pulsing like crazy at the LFS so lets hope it does the same in my tank - no pic yet still drip aclim this one
Also picked up a 38G plastic container to mix & store water in, got a 30G batch going right now for water changes.
Online Order:
Captive Sun AZ-NO3 - thought I had a N-ate prob but LFS tested & OK
CPR in Tank Refugium Large w/Rio p-head
Filter Sock 100Mic for my sump
Buff Tuff cleaing pad
Coralife Limewood airstones - gonna put another in my skimmer have 2 running
Acrylic buffer/polisher
Hagen master test kit - 10 test types - didn't like my red sea lab
Kent Salt creep elimnator
Ken Polyox
Ken RXp Marine Parasite - thought I might have seen Ick
Python 10X7 net 24" handle
Drien Brine Shrimp, planton, & tubifex worms.

saltn00b

good luck with the pink condy - a lot of people have trouble with them because they tend to not want to 'lock in' with their foot, and get lost in dark crevices and die...

clsimons29

Well my Xenia opened up nicley this weekend and I noticed this morning that it is pulsing away. My amenone hid under my rocks over the weekend and this morning he was out on the sand but he seems to be very small and contracted up and does not seem to be moving??? Could he have possible died or is he stressed? I will observe him today and see if I see any change.

saltn00b

anenomes will often shrivel up and turn greenish as they expell water and waste, then reinflate in a day or so to be bigger and brighter then before. if all is well, it is a normal thing that will happen at varying intervals.

clsimons29

saltn00b said:
anenomes will often shrivel up .....
Well my anenome is looking much better he has inflated back up and found a spot on the sand he seems to like, of course right up next to my green plate coral, so I moved the plate coral over so they were not touching.

clsimons29

Well I finally got my new stuff in and my new Hagen test kit is awsome. I tested everything and here is what I came up with.
CA: 340 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NH3/4: 0ppm
PO4: 0.5 ppm
PH: 8.5
KH: 150
Iron: Chelated - 0 ppm
Non-chelated - 0 ppm
Taken at temp of 76.2
Calcium is a little low but have it on a drip line.
I Use only RO/DI water
Test say KH is high but not sure why or what to do about it.
Everthing in tank is healthy and working well.

clsimons29

I did some tank maintenance today and ended up rearranging my rockwork to give me a larger sand bed area for some of the corals I acquired. I might be cutting off part of the artificial reef and adding more rock on that end. Goal would be to have two separate areas of rock built up with a "path" diagonally in-between. Also added a shelving unit at the end of my tank to store the ballast and all my supplies, going to make my life much more organized.

clsimons29

1st I am having a cyno bacteria problem so please see my thread in reeftanks under "cynobacteria problem" to help me out if you can. Other than that:
I have added my fuge and alos got a coralife twist 9W UV filter and it made a huge difference on my blue tang who I suspected might of had a little Ick, was clear as a bell today. Haven't added much else but have a percula clown on order. My anemone planted his foot and has found a happy place. The only stock I am concerned about right now is my Pulsing Xenia who has seemed to shrink downward and is not pulsing as much and seems closed up quite a bit, All prams are good and I have him placed about 14" down from my lights - could it be to intense?

clsimons29

Well I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I would put a little of the new stuff up.
New Fish
Lawnmower blenny
Percula Clown
cleaner shrimp
New Corals
Brown polyps
Yellow polyps
Green star polyps
I got through the red cyno prob I was having and am now just having a few small patches of black cyno. I ended up cutting out part of the fake reef as it was obstructing flow and was a dietrus trap so it was a major contributer to the red cyno prob. I going to purchase more LR in future and build up against the overflow.

clsimons29

Thought I would show some full tank shots showing the part I cut out. I'm going to have to get more LR to fill in especially were I made the cut.

ledzep fan

All i can say is that your tank is simply amazing! What else do you plan on adding to your tank?? Maybe another tang like a achilles (sp?). Keep us updated and once again, bravo.

clsimons29

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
...What else do you plan on adding to your tank?? Maybe another tang like a achilles....
Thanks for the compliment. I still have a ton of work to do on the tank and finding it is taking lots of $$$$

Here is what is on my to do list:
1/3 hp chiller
Salinity, ORP, temp, etc monitors on a computer control system
RO system & auto top off
New inline skimmer
New motor to replace the 3mdqx little giant
New refuguim outside tank - replace in-tank one.
redo the out flow from my canister filter
add another +140 lbs LR building up the right side on the overflow and the left side higher leaving he middle open.
Fish List
Naso Tang
Royal Gramma
Purple Tang
Sunset Anthias
Mandrin dragonet - waiting another 4 mths to be sure pods are sufficent.
Possibly a powder blue tang.
Maybe add 1-2 more unique fish once I find the ones I like.
And of course lots & lots more corals!!
I have been doing things fairly slowly to make sure I don't screw up and making the learning curve as low as possible.

clsimons29

Made another store run and picked upa flame angel, firefish, and a sand-sifting star fish. I guess no one else wants to comment?

natep206

do you have a final fish list planned? id love to see it.
and nice selections so far. you might want to get 2 more fire fishs. so they school. when kept singly they can get pretty aggresive.
and have you considered puting the GSP on the snd bed?
-nate :beer:

akbuuur

i think the reason your having cyano is because your adding too quickly... i would suggest a series of water changes in a week about 30 percent each time at least 3 or 4 times.. i had a bad cyano problem but i moved my tank and kept only 30 of 115 gallons... i also added on about 40ish gallons because i got a larger sump but in the process lost all my xenia... thats not that big of a loss tho ahah

clsimons29

Originally Posted by akbuuur
i think the reason your having cyano is because your adding too quickly... i would suggest a series of water changes in a week about 30 percent each time at least 3 or 4 times.. i had a bad cyano problem but i moved my tank and kept only 30 of 115 gallons... i also added on about 40ish gallons because i got a larger sump but in the process lost all my xenia... thats not that big of a loss tho ahah
Appreciate the comment. I have not added alot until just recently, my cyno prob cleared up using chema clean and removing part of the fake reef that was obstructing flow and catching dietrus and I do water changes. Everything is going well right now except having some black cyno that is starting to clear up.
Happy to report that all my fish are doing great and I found my anemone that dissappeared! He wedged himself on the back glass between some rock.