Hood Or Canopy?

rlv695

well as im going to get ready to set up my tank.. was wondering...should i build a canopy or use a hood for now.. money is a little tight .. as i am going to just use flos at first

rlv695

im going to use comen pine ... sides from 2x10..top from 1x6's....using a water proof stain on the inside and out...to matck the cabinet i have now..

harris

better yet some of the wood at home depot is made for desk tops/shelves which has a high fire retardent feature and is already protected against water. I used this as my top and then the siddes are pine. total cost under 15. I picked my wood out of the already cut/scratched pile. The 6" pine was the most exspensive.

novahobbies

Maybe it's the ecologist in me coming out, but please don't use rainforest-harvested woods if you can avoid them....we need those to stay where they are! Pine is at least somewhat more renewable, and will not warp terribly if trated properly: use marine-grade epoxy paint on the inside after a coat of killz primer, and stain or paint plus a couple coats of acrylic poly on the outside.