Hope for missing conchs out there...

sammyg

Well, I have had a fighting conch in my tank since the beginning as part of my clean up crew. I've noticed him bury himself a couple of times for a while, but I always knew where he was and he never stayed burried for more than a few days. Then, about 6 weeks ago, I couldn't find him and haven't seen him since ... until today!
I came home and saw him cruising around, covered with sand. I thought for sure he was dead! I am truly amazed! I guess he just was hibernating, and I can even see the hole in the sand where he climbed out of and must have been hiding. A few weeks ago, I kicked up a bunch of sand trying to find the shell and remove the (presumed) rotting corpse!
Well, I guess wonders never cease in this crazy hobby of ours.
Sam

aqua39

that's amazing. is there a chace that he was just coming out at night when you weren't looking?

sammyg

That's always a possibility, but I think I would have noticed. I frequently take a peek with a flashlight at night, and he left an enormous hole in the sand. Hopefully he won't hibernate again, because I really enjoy watching him roam around, and he's one of favorite inhabitants. I was really sad thinking I lost him.
Experts (Bang, Kip, or whomever): Is this common? I knew the sometimes burried themselves, but do conchs often take months off for vacation from their cleaning duties?
Sam

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Great shot, Sammy! I have had the same thing happen with my Fighting conch.....he will burry himself for several wks, then, suddenly decideds to make an appearance. :D