Horrible kind of algae help!!!

roggy23

can anyone help me with identyfing this algae and what i can do to get rid of it and whats the easiest wway to get it off???
they are like all against the glass and are circular

spline9

That is green coralline algae. Its the same as the purple stuff but not as cool lookin. If you really hate it, you can use a razor blade on glass or a credit card on acrylic.

nas19320

Originally posted by roggy23
thanks for the reply guys, ok so its safe to get rid of that corraline aglae right?

:yes:

jenn-e

How long have you had the green coraline? I'm asking because i have it too and i was told it would eventually subside to purple coraline. I'm really hoping for purple.

roggy23

i have purple also its just i hate seeing all those green circular algaes all over the back of tank in front of my blue background.

spline9

My glass started with the green stuff and just now, a few months later, its finally starting to get the purple growing on there. It's been growing on the rocks, though.

sjgsm

IMO... I would leave the coraline alone...just because it is natural and in the end it will make the tank look better....IMO... everyone has their own opinion :thinking:

sailfin

Many things determine the color of coralline. The green typically grows in darker areas. Purple in areas with more light. High flow areas will typically have more growth. Unless it obstructs your view I would suggest leaving it there. Once it gets good coverage it actually makes it look better, IMO.
:)

spline9

Coralline also competes with nuisance algae. I believe nuisance algae will not normally grow over coralline.

sailfin

Originally posted by ryand
sailfin what would make red coaline grow??

I really do not know. I believe I also have the red you speak of. Is it dark or bright? Mine is dark like burgundy red. I like it as well. That color, for me anyway, seems to come and go. The purple, pinks and greens are always there. Sorry I couldn't answer that maybe someone else will.
:)