Horror story I just have to share

ms. fish

I went to the local ***** over the weekend to have a look around and was completely horrified by what I saw...
A new batch of saltwater fish and inverts had just been brought out of the back and was placed in front of a large tank. Immediately, the MANAGER of the department opened the box and one by one, started adding the new stock to the tank in the following manner. He merely opened the bags and poured the contents of each into a large net, then dumped the fish/inverts into the tank. No drip, no adding water to each bag...he didn't even temperature acclimate the bags!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing and didn't think that it was my place to say anything but, then I saw him add a purple lobster the same way, and it literally floated to the bottom of the tank on its back and stayed like that.
I was so upset I had to say something. So, I asked him if they were acclimated in the back, knowing full well they weren't! His answer..(mind you he's the MANAGER of the department)..."I'm too busy for that. They'll either make it or they won't. It's just life."

Can anyone believe this??? :nope:

leboeuf

be proactive and contact his regional mgr... it is just as much your responsiblity to report him as his to abid by certain regulations. I'm sure that is not there corp policy.

cprdnick

I was going to say that they may have done it in the back, but then I read on. I'd report him to one of those animal rights places or something.

reefsoe

Chains S__K I go to a LFS and whenever you go in an there is a shipment in you see basins all over airline and clothes pins dripping for HOURS! I love it
And all 3 of the systems are rugulated and water changes done perfectly with RO/DI and SG is matched as well as temp and air. Sure.. you pay a whole lotta money for your fish and corals... but, you get what you pay for and provided good care you will have that fish for a long time.
Mom an Pop shops are the best... im in NJ lets go lynch the ***** guy

skirrby

i agree if your store is to busy for you to do it right.. then dont sell the fish. i think the problem with people like him is that he sees that its not his money going down the drian if they die so he dont care...i havent even bought my first fish yet and ***** is way off my list of any place that i would... the one near me uses the venturi on the powerheads on all the saltwater tanks and everyone is thick with microbubbles..one was so thick with bubbles it took me about 3 min to notice there was a niger trigger in it.

ms. fish

I'm definitely going to write a letter to the company. The LFS near me is a lot more expensive, but well worth it...and there's always SWF.com! I'm NEVER going to ***** again.
FYI all you New York folk, it was the one in Union Square!

reefsoe

Ack! I know the one! Stay clear, only thing a chain is good for is the cheaper prices for dry goods in a pinch otherwise SWF.com all the way.

i really hope that my ***** isn't like that with their saltwater fish, i love my ***** i have bought fw fish from them for atleast a year and all has been fine but thats totally different,
~i think i will ask about that next time i go in there.