Horseshoe crab

promisetbg

Not a good candidate for a tank..at all. I wish they did'nt sell them in the trade. They get about as big as a platter, they do not swim well, and they will starve in your tank after eating all the infauna from your sandbed.

poniegirl

I'd suggest a search. I just did and found some interesting stuff. They can grow to 20" and can live 14 to 20 years. Wow.
I had thought about one for my tank, too. But after what might be a huge initial feast, I'm afraid he would starve.
My LFS has one in their display tank, I've been keeping an eye on.

natureboy

I had one in my 75g and they are very funny to watch because the can't swim well at all. I would be worried about them knocking something over if you keep corals. Mine evenually swam blinly into an anemone and was no more. He only lasted a few months so i don't know if he was starving or not.

bojik

Thanks for you input guys. This variety promisetbg, at least from the listing on this site, says it only gets about 1-2 inches. That was the reason i was considering it. But i was not sure of the viability of the idea. I'll msot likely forgo the purchase of this critter, once i actualy build the stand and set up this 20gal and cycle it.

alyssia

They also come from cooler waters and don't do well at reef temps. Just anohter reason not to get one, I'm afraid.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by Bojik
Thanks for you input guys. This variety promisetbg, at least from the listing on this site, says it only gets about 1-2 inches. That was the reason i was considering it. .
Never heard of such a thing, I think you are mistaking "only gets about 1-2"" with the size they are sold at. There is no such thing as a mini horsehoe crab. They are one of the unchanged creatures on the planet. They use their blue-blood for research and I believe to make a drug. They do grow to the size I said...google it.

drewissett

No I read that you can get small A small version tthat is only 1-2 in.
but I have only seen the ones in the ocean that are really big tho...

scsinet

The sizes listed on this site are the size when you get them. If you watch stock closely, sometimes they will change the size of particular specemins (I've noticed it with Lionfish) and the price according to what size stock they get from their collectors.
I got a horseshoe crab as a free item from here once, and it died in a few weeks. They are incredibly uninteresting. You get to enjoy them for the first 10 minutes before they disappear under the sandbed, then you never see them again. Emerald Crabs, Decorator Crabs (watch with Anemones), Arrows, etc are all much more interesting buys.

shinok4

there is no such thing as a miniature horseshoe crab... I've looked. They do sell them at 1-2 inches BUT they will grow to 20" and as said before they tend to run into/knock things over. one of hte worst things you can stick in a tank IMO

promisetbg

"The Horseshoe Crab (also known as the King Crab) is a hard-shelled invertebrate that lives in warm, shallow coastal waters on the sea floor. It is not really a crab; it is more closely related to arachnids (spiders and scorpions). The Horseshoe Crab first appeared about 500 million years ago (during the Ordovician Period), and has changed very little since. There are four species of Horseshoe Crabs alive today; they live off the coasts of India, Japan, Indonesia, the eastern USA, and the Gulf of Mexico.
Diet: The Horseshoe Crab eats sea worms and mollusks (like young clams). They find their prey while walking along the sea bed; they are predominantly nocturnal (most active at night).
Anatomy: The Horseshoe Crab has a hard outer shell (an exoskeleton), 5 pairs of jointed legs and a pair of pincers. The Horseshoe Crab is up to 2 ft (60 cm) long and weighs up to 10 pounds (4.5 kg); it molts its skin many times as it grows. The male is two-thirds the size of the female. The long tail is not a weapon; it is used as a rudder (for steering) and for righting itself when it is flipped upside down. The Horseshoe Crab has light blue, copper-based blood. It breathes using book gills, thin plates located on the abdomen.
Reproduction: Horseshoe Crabs hatch from eggs that the female lays. She lays roughly 20,000 small, green eggs in holes that she digs in the sand on the beach.
Classification: Phylum Arthropoda, Class Merostomata, Order Xiphosura, Genus and species Limulus polyphemus, Tachypleus tridentatus, T. gigas, and Carcinoscorpinus rotundicauda.
"
Well that's nice to know..."copper-based blood".... :scared:

scsinet

Hmmm... the copper based blood is interesting... especially considering how sensitive invertabrates are to copper medications...

poniegirl

"In the 1900s, horseshoe crabs were dried for use as fertilizer and poultry food supplements before the advent of artificial fertilizers.
The medical profession uses an extract from the horseshoe crab's blue, copper-based blood called lysate to test the purity of medicines. Certain properties of the shell have also been used to speed blood clotting and to make absorbable sutures"
Cut & pasted.
Apparently they can be kept in the medicine cabinet.

scsinet

This opens the door to all kinds of things....
I've always wanted to keep an aspirinfish, but I didn't know whether they were reef safe.
hmmm but I hear they don't last long in the home aquarium unless they are acclimated very slowly and are gel coated. They also are pretty uninteresting... sounds similar to the horseshoe crab.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by SCSInet
This opens the door to all kinds of things....
I've always wanted to keep an aspirinfish, but I didn't know whether they were reef safe.
hmmm but I hear they don't last long in the home aquarium unless they are acclimated very slowly and are gel coated. They also are pretty uninteresting... sounds similar to the horseshoe crab.
Acclimate them using the drip (or IV) method.