Horseshoe Crabs

putt_77

I have had two die on me over the years. Are they not a hardy crab or am I just experiencing some bad luck? I have not had one in some time, but they are indigenous to my boyhood home in NJ and I like to have them for nostalgias sake. Any suggestions/input? Thanks

rmd8110

I bought 2 for my tank in an invert package i ordered from here in december. 1 of them died a couple weeks ago. the other one is still quite active. AFTER THE FACT of already buying them, i was told by many people that no tank is big enough for them AND the water is too warm for them and they really won't adjust to it. I think i was told their used to water that is between like 65 and 69 degrees. so these little guys aren't good to keep in a tank. i sure wish i had known that. they're my favs and i hate that i killed one and just have to wait for the other one to die. :(

putt_77

They are cool. One I bought died right away, but the other one lived for about 6 months. It is actually a funny story. After about 4 months I was out of town and my wife called and said the horseshoe crab died. So, quite awhile later she goes in to look at the tank and there's a horseshoe crab swimming all over. She though I bought a new one, but I hadn't. That crab had buried itself so deep in the substrate that it went unnoticed, even during cleanings, for at least a month. Then, unfortunately, it died shortly thereafter. I guess it had just molted and she thought it was the crab.
CRazy