horshoe crabs

Yeah actually I do know a little about them. First off they come from an area with shallow water with lots of sand room to dig in and hide. They need a LARGE tank when they are full grown and can reach lengthes of over a foot. I personally do not think anyone should keep a full grown one an a tank smaller than 100 gallons. They also need a dsb to dig in and burry themselves. They like to stay hidden and like to knock over rocks. I personally would go against one unless you have a fairly large tank. I wanted one for along time untill i actually saw a full grown one at the Newport Aquarium. They are neat but grow to giants quick.

goofieones

Also will eat all the critters in a live sand bed, and if you don't have a live sand bed with critters it will slowly starve to death. Either way a lose lose situation. I actually had one that was doing great, and I didn't mind it eating my live sand bed, but I never saw the thing, so it was buying something you could never enjoy.

ocellaris_keeper

Thor,
I just bought two of them a few weeks ago and they are great for churning up the top level of the DSB. they come out in the evening (8 PM until the lights go out) and cost me $2.00 apiece. They swim upside down and are really silly animals. I have a fairly smll tank and plan on returning them if they become too big. Right now they are about 3/4 of an inch long.
I have seen them full size - I live near the Chesapeake Bay and they come out of the water all the time (they are big and ugly when full grown) but they are interesting right now.

fishymissy

You should also know that they can get stuck behind rocks and you will have to get them loose. Most of them die in captivity. I had one, and aside from getting stuck just about every other day, eating all the life forms in the substrate, knocking over small rocks, running into featherdusters, and scaring the bejeezus out of the fish when he swam around, I guess he was okay until he finally ate everything and died of starvation! :eek:
A mistake on my part for getting this animal. :(

Mine is pretty cool to watch, they do grow quickly though. I thought it was dead at first but it had only molted. I got it a little smaller than a quarter no its about time to return it for some thing new, it does keep top layer of sand spotless though.
Goodluck.

Mine is pretty cool to watch, they do grow quickly though. I thought it was dead at first but it had only molted. I got it a little smaller than a quarter no its about time to return it for some thing new, it does keep top layer of sand spotless though.
Goodluck.