hose clamp recommendations

kirkland

We just got a little giant 2-mdq. The intake tube will be in the sump or the back of the tank to the little giant pump that will be housed in a cabinet. What would be the best way to secure the 3/4" plastic tubing so it won't accidentally fall out or get knocked out of the sump? I looked at home depot for something like a clamp attached to an adjustable ring but didn't find anything. I am not comfortable just wedging a tube into the sump, or possibly the back of the tank, without having something to keep the tube where it should be.

earlybird

I'd use a stainless hose clamp. Found at any hardware store. Just don't over tighten or it will cut through the plastic.

earlybird

I had a plastic hose clamp on my return pump and I couldn't get it tight enough and it ended up slipping and my return pump turned into a geyser.

nordy

Originally Posted by kirkland
http:///forum/post/2631603
We just got a little giant 2-mdq. The intake tube will be in the sump or the back of the tank to the little giant pump that will be housed in a cabinet. What would be the best way to secure the 3/4" plastic tubing so it won't accidentally fall out or get knocked out of the sump? I looked at home depot for something like a clamp attached to an adjustable ring but didn't find anything. I am not comfortable just wedging a tube into the sump, or possibly the back of the tank, without having something to keep the tube where it should be.
I think kirkland is talking about a flexible intake tube and having to worry about it slipping out of the sump or off of the tank edge and not necessarily attaching to the pump? Anyway, for attaching it to the back of the tank, I would suggest some type of a rigid pipe, either something made for the job or something you fabricate from pvc. A thin section upside down U shape would help limit it's movement in that location. As for putting it in a sump, if it's plastic, one of those clamps that spanko recommended should work great if you

[hr]
it to the plastic with a SS

[hr]
and then just clip the intake hose into the fixed clamp. Just be sure to have some type of intake guard of cover on the intake tube.

kirkland

What I'm really looking for are best recommended ways to install this pump. It will be housed in cabinet next to the tank. I have the pump and 6' of tubing for the intake and outtake. The outtake tubing will be secured to the wavemaker. I'm not sure on how to secure the intake. I can have one of my guy friends install the pump, but I have to know what is needed and how to set it up first. Right now I just have flexible plastic tubing to run from the tank to the pump. I can't just put the floppy tube in the tank or sump and let it be. I am fine on the tubing being connected to the pump, but I'm not sure on the other end of the intake. Does that make more sense?

reefforbrains

Just hard plumb it and then no worries. Use unions for quick disconnects where needed but then fit everything just how you want it.

kirkland

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2632289
Just hard plumb it and then no worries. Use unions for quick disconnects where needed but then fit everything just how you want it.
I haven't ever put together anything on the tank. father-in-law installed the overflow and connected the sump pump. a friend put in the protein skimmer. i don't know what you mean by 'hard plumb'. is there an image that shows what you mean by this? I am sure it's not difficult, I just don't speak equipment language.