Hospital Tank?!?

splderboy

I recently (2 days ago) set up a 20gal hospital tank for my 2 Damsels and my Yellow Tang. I set it up w/ no sub-strate only some base rock. I am running a whisper filter. I just check the Ammonia level. It is at 3.0! I don't feel like I have sufficient filtration on the tank. What sort of filtration should I be using, since I have treated the water w/ CopperSafe.

byrself

you are going to have levels of ammonia in your tank because it's not a cycled tank, and even with using base rock in the tank it's not going to do much good. you will have to just do water changes and maybe use some ammo-lock while your fish are in here. also, keep feeding to a minimum, and don't ever put the rock in this tank back in your main tank. the copper has ruined it. the filter you have is okay in that it is only there to move water. it's not going to have any bacteria to convert waste being you just set the tank up, and i think the copper treatments will kill the bacteria anyway. you could also maybe run an airstone to help oxygenate the water more, but water changes are going to be necessary. i usually use half new water and half water from my main tank.