HOT Skimmer for a nano ....

overanalyzer

OK looking for a decent HOT skimmer for a 20 gallon or a 29 Gallon tank ... I have been running skimmerless but wouldlike a little something extra to help .... I've been getting some nuiscance algea and I think skimming will help remove the nutrients ... trying to decied if I should go to a 2 times a month water change or a skimmer....
so what kind would you recommend?? I like hte looks ofhte CPR bak-pak but I don't really want the bio-media.... I can get a prism fairly cheap - but are they any good??
ANyone have a HOT PS they want to sell cheap??
Thanks all

marvida

I have the CPR BakPak 2R on my 29 & love it. I got it on ---- with the combo bubble trap/top skimmer. No biobale instead there are additional baffles on the 2R.

vibe

i heard prizm skimmers are great. i have a website where you can get one cheap. e-mail me. vibe15@aol.com. the guy whose tank i used t care for had one and it worked great.

The bak pak 2R is a fantastic skimmer for this size tank. I am very pleased with mine. $110 online brand new, $150 w/ Preskimmer combo box shipped to your door.

grouperhead

I've got a prizm on my 20g. Looked at that and the CPR. I got the prizm just because I got a deal on it at my lfs. No problems (knock on wood.)

aarone

yeah it is not that big of a deal on a nano to have a skimmer. At the risk of sounding hipocritical...I am about to add a euroreef to my 28 gallon....just because i plan on keeping some picky coral in the future and I also am about to add a 20 gallon sumpfugium.
aaron

phreakemup

OA, long time no see!! I would personally go w/ the Prizm Deluxe (the one w/ the overflow built into it) It's a great skimmer!! I have tried the remora, and the prizm, and I personally love the prizm!! Granted it's not the best skimmer on the market, but for HOB, I think it's definitely top 3. But that's just me!
Phreak

j21kickster

Prizm is junk- prizim pro is ok but a waste of money- the cpr will be all the skimmer you need- i had one and i was awesome- i have also seen the prizms- (more than one) what a waste

phreakemup

Wow!! That's a pretty strong statement J21Kickster..... Do you have any claims that back up that statement of yours??
Phreak
EDIT
Also, you say you've owned a CPR, but you have "seen" prizm's?? I dont supposed you have owned a prizm as well, have you??

j21kickster

Well- i never said i have owned a remora- but i did work at the LFS for over a year and we ran each skimmer at one point or another- we had the most return on the prizm that any other skimmer- the only Bak Pak we had returned was because someone broke it- i have seen both skimmers in action on several tanks including the pro- and red sea skimmers just do not impress me at all

overanalyzer

I got my hands a on a prism pro with the surface skimmer and I like it ... would prefer a CPR bak-pak - but the prism pro was the right price!! It took a long time of adjusting to get the prism right where I wanted it and now that it is set-up I really like it a lot!!

phreakemup

Wow, you got a lot of returns on the prism?? I'm honestly surprised, where do you order them from?? The only return we had, was a guy who busted the o ring on the motor assebmly..
Phreak

get a prizm... it will be just fine for that size tank. and do weekly water changes. thats your only chance of getting rid of that algae. I do weekly water changes, run a protein skimmer and a fuge and i still have unwanted algae

j21kickster

they were returned because of performance problems- honestly i think the lees airstone skimmers are just as effective- but..... its not my tank