Hot Water

amh84

My tank is consistantly getting about the proper water temperature. While where I live isn't exactly known for it's hot weather, it's warm enough to raise my tank temperature. How do I keep this loow during the summer? (NOTE: I need a heater during the winter, and some nights in the summer/spring/fall)

mr . salty

You don't really have to worry till the temp reaches 86-87 deg. maybe a little higher, in an emergency you can float plastic bags of ice. drop temp slowly . Or buy a cheep air cond. at a rummage and everyone will be happy. STEVE

barry

You can usually get one of those fans like Slyly mentioned at a Walgreens (desktop mini fans w/clips work fine). I live in the desert and I have used this method through a few summers. Make sure it blows accross the surface of the water though to be effective. One STRONG word of caution: You will need to add FRESHWATER to the tank daily to make up for the evaportation which will occur! Otherwise your salinity will increase too quickly with the rapid evaporation.

I also got the fan to cool down the water, and in emergencies, I got those ice balls that you can put in your drink, that works as ice cubes but doesn't add any extra freshwater into your tank. Getting the temp up to 86 or 87 is pretty ricky as it can literally burn you fish. Usually 84 is the highest temp for your tank.
~~Megan

jimm

Using a fan across the surface lowered the temp in my tank 4 degrees, but as mentioned above, you need to watch the water level.
Also,leaving the windows in the house open should help keep it the air surrounding the tank cooler.