hottub idea

marinfire1

so around here there are alot of free hot tubs...it was just a thought and i dont think id ever do it but...anyone think its possible to turn a hottub into a fish pond? i mean u got all the water jets u need and the heater...just change the filter around and make sure theres u chemicals in it...just an idea...let me kno if u think it can happen

mr. green

Given that most hot tubs use Bromine and other sorts of chemicals, so unless you can make sure that it is all removed, I could not see a problem. But, you may want to seal a lot of the jet nozzles due to the number. Could be a place for lot of fish and inverts to hide.

scsinet

About the heater and pump....
Most hottubs have pumps and heaters made with stainless steel components. Stainless steel will not hold up under continuous exposure to seawater, and it's almost certain that the pump's shaft seal is not designed for saltwater exposure. You'd probably have to replace both with units with titanium or polypropolyne components (in other words, designed for saltwater use). Otherwise, all that metal will end up in your water.
While you are at it, you are going to want to check thoroughly for stainless steel screws used below the water line, and either replace them with nylon or titanium, or paint them over with marine grade epoxy.
Eco Reef Aquatics stocks all kinds of stuff that can probably be used as direct replacements, such as the inline heaters, etc.

scsinet

Yes I agree.... you definitely should send that hottub to me postage paid so you aren't tempted.

reefer545

GREAT IDEA. Too many chemicals. Too many metal parts. A good bit a of work, adn it could be the coolest reef tanks ever. Especially if you were to remove one (or 4) of the seats adn put in awindow or 4. GOOD LUCK> Get teh free one adn make it your own hot tub. Youll get more chicks that way.lol.
R545

marinfire1

haha already have a new hot tub...so ya maybe in a few years with some more money ill try to tackle this project

autofreak44

Originally Posted by SCSInet
We all get enough chicks anyway. Nothing attracts the ladies like a reef nerd.
there are so many i have to hire bouncers to keep them away from the tank, and my classic good looks