Housing eels with eels

thehat

Here is a crazy or not so crazy question. Is it possible to have more than one eel in a tank and Of different kinds. I have a 65 gallon tank with a zebra and a couple of other fish and was wondering if this is even possible. The zebra eel is about 20 inches.

grouperhead

You can usually get away with mixing the 'pebble tooth' eels. You get into trouble when you try to mix the piscivorous species. Bo

thehat

Ok that helps. What are some different types of peppled tooth eels that would apply. And this would be ok in a 65 to 70 gallon tank? Just to make sure?

grouperhead

Snowflake and chainlink come to mind. IMO, a zebra will get a little large for that size tank. You could also look into goldentails, golden dwarfs, and a few other more rare species. Bo

thehat

The book I had recomended the 70 gallon tank for the zebra. I was thinking about a golden tail my fish store just got some in and that is why I was asking. I do have a clown fish a pygmy angel and a hawk fish in the tank also and figured the golden tail eel would eat them. Do they eat fish very mucH? My bio load is probably to much.

beach bum

If you don't mind your "couple of other fish" being eaten eventually and a slight element of risk it is possible to mix one of the more reclusive piscivorous eels with a "pebble tooth eel". Having the more aggressive being smaller helps. Twice I have seen large-ish (30" or so) zebra eels with a yellow-head moray. But the yellow head is fairly tame as compared to other larger species. Two aggressisives though, means trouble, ime.
How about a pair of zebras?
hth

jumpfrog

I'm keeping 3 morays (SFE, zebra and and unknown - hopefully pebble tooth:rolleyes: ) with a wolf eel (aka carpet blenny) in my 125. No problems to date and last night all 3 were sharing the same cave.

chrismilano

My snowflake eel and my zebra moray eel sleep together during the day and hunt from the same cave at night!
The ribbon eel doesnt bother either of them.

g-reef

have them in a 180 gallon. they are ok together but nothing can be kept with them except starfish and hermit crabs. everytin else is food