Houstonians

kevin01

Hey y'all. ( I can do that cause my subject notifies everyone where I am from) I love SWF.com but I am looking for a LFS for the little bits. College Station is severly lacking and beond over priced. Can anyone recommend a great Reef Store around Houston. Remember everyone, buy stuff from SWF.com and keep them in business, that way they don't take down ourmessage board. :D

S

starfishjackedme

There are only a few really that I consider worthwhile:
Citypets (on Beltway8 & Beechnut)
T&T Fish & Reptile (Hwy6 South)
FishLand (Westheimer @ Eldridge)
Most of these are on the West side, that is where I am at. They all stock a wide selection of corals and have expertise in reef tanks. Citypets had a huge display, but it was being rebuilt the last time I went in. I think T&T had the widest selection and the best quality specimens. They had two awesome hammers that were a foot long each. Anyway, I hope that helps.

I prefer one located on Jones Rd. at 290, it is a Fish Ranch, unsure of the phone number.
Also:
Fish Ranch
6734 Larkwood at Hillcroft and 59
713-782-1182
Great selection of Coral
Fishland
13155 Westheimer
713-497-FISH
Global Fish
8880 Bellaire
Houston, TX. 77036
713-771-4848
That should get you started.
Also, I am contemplating starting a Saltwater fish store here in Conroe. I already frag corals for friends constantly and am checking into all the aspects of opening my own LFS.
Hope that helps.

kevin01

Thanks guys. I would have no problem cruising down 105 to get some cool stuff from someone I know. Course you would be willing to throw a discount on top for a fellow SWF.com MB friend? ;)

jakob4001

those are all great places, but by far the BEST place to see a display is at AQUARIUM WORLD located on the NW FREEWAY near TIDWELL/HOLLISTER; they are huge LFS, but be fair warned, they are very pricey on some things; usually have good selection & very healthy specimens

S

starfishjackedme

I forgot to mention that one! How could I forget that display tank with the 8foot eel??? That thing is the size of a large swimming pool.. I was thinking around 30,000-50,000 gal? Anyway, it is worth checking out.

mark-24

Wow! When did all you guys sign up?!?! I really don't think that we should be talking about specific lfs, so drop me a line at RU_Experienced@hotmail.com There are a pretty good amount of fish stores in Houston, it's just finding a reputable one that's the hard part.
-Mark

jakob4001

yep, that is really true; sometimes can work to your advantage though and maybe cause you to luck out cheaper on something; think the rules were applying to online sites being that is what SWF.com is; have seen old and new post about what local LFS's are around, but you never know

daluminum

Lucky punks. Im in austin. which is much cooler than Houston. :D :D But I only have 2 SW LFS. one is a discount place with great people great deals and good fish.
the other is yuppy join with teenage idiots and great reef stuff. luckily I am FO for now and the dicount place is just down the road. but still you guy are lucky to have so many LFS. but its still not worth living in houston. :D :D :D

cyn

I have had great luck with Fishland. The owner is very patient with my questions and he is always very helpful.

S

starfishjackedme

I might swing by there and check it out. I haven't been by there in a long time- even though it's not that far from where I live (beltway8 and I-10).

kimf

Hey I'm in need of help with CARPET Stichodactyla haddoni Please see my new post and give me some hints.
Thanks.