How aggressive are damsels??

lynnly

I tried to add 2 new fish to no avail. The Damsel and Pseudo wouldn't let them out of the top corner.So what did I do? I cut the top off a plastic water bottle turned the lid inside out and caught both of them little monsters. Now only peaceful fish allowed in my tank.

jawdubb

Haha funny topic, I have a trap in our tank right now to get rid of one that has been nipping polyps and harassing the other fish forever. He is beautiful and is one of our fish that has actually been named, but the cost of corals vs. the cost of a damsel is just not worth it to us anymore.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2664128
You can't categorize Damsels as all being overly aggressive. Some, like Dominos and Maroon Clownfish, are at the high end of the scale, and others like Percula Clownfish and Reef Chromis, are at the low end of the aggressive scale.
Saying all Damsels are aggressive is like saying all ducks are white.
I was completely waiting for Bang to say this. He is right. I thought this when I responded earlier. I assumed, from what was asked and what people are saying, that we are talking about "damsels" as in domino, blue tail, blue devil, three striped, and all those that are sold for $5 and used to cycle a tank.
Damsel is actually a broad category that encompasses clowns and chromis.

mie

I have a 4 inch maroon clown and a large blue devil damsel and they are hands down the most agressive towards me, they are fine with all other fish.
They are the only two fish to go out of there way to introduce a newcomer, but that only last's for a few days.
I think damsel's get a bad name.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2664988
I have a 4 inch maroon clown and a large blue devil damsel and they are hands down the most agressive towards me, they are fine with all other fish.
They are the only two fish to go out of there way to introduce a newcomer, but that only last's for a few days.
I think damsel's get a bad name.
I agree in part...I currently have a domino that is aggressive with me, but quite calm in terms of its tankmates. However, I have had others that are relentless in their attacks. Like most fish it is luck of the draw imo. I think damsels are great fish...just have to take into account that there may be problems.

forcrz6

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2664128
You can't categorize Damsels as all being overly aggressive. Some, like Dominos and Maroon Clownfish, are at the high end of the scale, and others like Percula Clownfish and Reef Chromis, are at the low end of the aggressive scale.
Saying all Damsels are aggressive is like saying all ducks are white.
So What your saying is "We can tell shes a witch if she floats like a Duck?" Sry old Monty python move just came to mind with your example.

stdreb27

I don't agree, they get a far worse rep than they deserve, I had a blue devil, yellow tail and a velvet, never had any problems other than their colors ended up fading. They aren't chickens, but when kept with larger fish that aren't really passive, it shouldn't be a problem. They were the smallest fish in my 180 and never bothered anyone, eventually they were in a 45 with whatever I was qting. They spend time with 3 angels without a problem.