How bad is it if pennies end up in your reef?

randy14

The 180 reef at work is having difficulties. The leather is starting to get some small holes in it. I just noticed it today. And as I was looking around the tank, I found 4 pennies in it. Could this be causing the problem with the leather? I know the alk is a little low but it's been this way before and I haven't had a problem. Is it possible 4 pennies will harm stuff in the tank?
Thanks.
P.S. Also have found paper and cookie crumbs in the past. I'm really tired of parents not supervising their children. This tank has a custom built hood with doors on it and these kids have to pull a chair over to reach the doors and then they try to squeeze anything through that they can. I think I'll put some rubber on the inside and try to keep little hands from putting stuff in there.

lubeck

im no expert but i would do a few Large water changes. if you have a copper test kit i would test it. there is a good chance that is why your leather is going downhill.
i would do as many tests on all parameters as you can, especially the copper. ph/amomina/trites.

lion_crazz

Pennies can be very bad in your tank. However, it is important to note that before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc. After 1982, the compostion became 97.6% zinc, and 2.4% copper. So this means that the pennies made before 1982 will be EXTREMELY more dangerous than post 1982 pennies.

schlechter

Lion makes an excellent point---Pennies are BAD news....My dad remembers days early in the hobby when they started noticing that pennies in tanks would cure ick in freshwater systems.....funny how some things come about (coppersafe)...

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Schlechter
...that pennies in tanks would cure ick in...
A cure that cost, well...pennies.

randy14

Thanks for the replies. I did a good waterchange today and will do another tomorrow. I also put chemi pur in it to help out. My shrimp/crabs/snails are doing okay. However, the arrow crab was sitting half dead right on the spot that the pennies were.