How big is your QT tank?

novahobbies

I keep a 5 gallon and a 12 gallon QT tank in the garage whose biofilters live permanently in my display tank's fuge. I was just wondering how many of us have larger QT tanks than this....and why?
I've been wondering this because I'm going to be in the market for a tang soon. With all the hype about the size of the DT for a tang, how many people QT them in small environments?

bms

i use a 20 gallon "long" glass tank..relatively cheap at a store like ***** and probably even your lfs. i also have a 10 gallon backup i can get setup in just a few mins incase something happens or i need two QT's.

aquaknight

A 55gal has been my bread and butter QT for years now. Tangs specifically don't do too bad in smaller QT's (not that I'm suggesting stick a Naso in that 5gal), but other fish like large angels and aggressive wrasses do much more poorly in smaller tanks. My 55 allows me to pretty much quarantine anything.
There just are soo many benefits to a larger QT. Stable water parameters, ability to support a larger bioload, can keep multiple fish if need be, room for multiple filters/equipment....
Currently I also have a 65gal running as a holding tank till my 240 is ready. The 65gal (with 20gal sump, for extra volume) will become the permanent QT, and the 55gal will get changed to a 75gal and become a puffer tank, my Burrfish, Bluespotted toby, and a Boxfish.
I have a 10gal currently running as a frag/QT for non-SPS corals.

richl

I have a 20 and a 10, but I think the 10 is too small except in emergencies. I run 2 Whisper filters on the 20 and move one to the 10 in emergencies.

btldreef

I have a 14G BioCube that I quarantine smaller fish in, and rock and coral. Yes, I quarantine EVERYTHING. Get a Xanthid crab in your tank, and you'll quarantine everything too, LOL.
I also have a 30G container that can/has been converted into a quarantine from time to time. I'm not a huge fan of buying full grown fish, so I don't need a huge QT. I buy most fish when they're still babies.

florida joe

The bigger the better (just ask cat woman) while more volume will necessitate more medication (if you are using a chemical medication) dilution, better water quality and the ability to treat more fish at one time is a real plus