How can I catch this Damsel???

t-bone

How do slurp guns work in a tank? Imagine they create some strong suction and you'd have to be pretty careful were you trigger it.

wfd1008

hand grenade-pull the pin-drop in and run. after the blast, start over without a damsel. damsel is actually latin and it means " Damn, I hate that freaking fish" hence-DAMsel

donald

forget about the slurp gun unless you can get the whole thing in the water. I have one and have used it off shore to catch fish. You will cuss and get water everywhere, dont waste the money on it for a fish tank. I use the very very small fly hooks, use a little mysid shrimp and be patient. I have caught several fish in the past like this. You can get them used to you and the fishing line by tying a piece of shrimp on the line and let them take it several days in a row. They will get used to eating it and one day slip the hook in there and ta da, no more damsel. The other way is to remove all your LR. I have done both ways and the hook is worth the time and effort.

helpme74

I had a very bad Damsel and this 2 Liter soda bottle trap worked great

I took me two days . just start putting food inside of bottle you will catch shrimp and snails but it will catch the little guy

ponyta810

thread a needle with about 6 feet of thread, put a splitshot on and stand directly over and overhand swing and harpon it

I had a very hard time catching my damsel a time or two. Haha
I just had to take out all of my live rock and everything... it was a pain in the neck!!
I usually don't ever have any trouble with damsels except the blue devil damsel I had. But they are the most agressive.
I hope you have good luck trying to catch the little guy.
What kind is it?

jp30338

You can get a radiata lion
, mine has eaten 2 of 4 in the 2 days I've had it.
NO! I did not use them to cycle my tank, I did get them to make sure they would not die before I bought any expensive fish, and I do like them especially the domino!

michael1972

get some plexy glass as wid and as tall as your tank and make a wall and just start to move him in to the end of the tank.
my lfs has a plexy trap they let people use maybe yours has one.
or start to feed with a net this may take some time longet than the hook but it has worked in the past. net feed them and they will swimm right in to the net and pull him out Damsels are bold and fast so good luck you can drain your tank and make a low spot and grab him out and then put the watter back in.
i have two damsels i but in my agresive tank now they runt the tank and they are a 10th the size of any thing in there.

I actually went fishing in my tank. Those fish traps did not work for me. I went to a fishing specialty store and bought itty bitty hooks size 24's . Hubby ground off the the barbs, I had some invisible sewing thread. Then I used a dowel rod ( sound familiar) and got some big mysis shrimp and threaded them on the hook. Just have to careful about hooking the other fish tho. I had caught more dominoe damsels than the all blue and the blue w/yellow tails. Does that say something abouth the dominoe damsel?? Not the brightest fish in the reef?I still have about 6 more to go. Where else can you fish in AC, watch TV, talk on speaker phone, listen to tunes or not, or better yet sit in your jammies????

yearofthenick

Just do what I did : Take out all your live rock, catch the god-forasken thing and NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN.
Good advice, if I do say so myself.

fattony

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2745944
Just do what I did : Take out all your live rock, catch the god-forasken thing and NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN.
Good advice, if I do say so myself.
Amen! My advice as well.. I have also seen the fishing thing work, but my friend also happened to hook his Tomini Tang that way ;)

happygirl

Drop in a Cherry Bomb.
Sorry couldn't resist. I also had to remove most of my Live Rock. Now you know why they cost so little. They're mean and quick.

V

vinnyraptor

dont feed for a day or two then take all of you lids lights etc off of the tank. get a step ladder or stool and a large net. drop in a little food and when he comes up to eat snatch em. ive done this more than once lol
Originally Posted by Tarrahsmom
http:///forum/post/2725536
I need some tips on how to catch this freaking stupid Damsel that wont stop messing with my new naso Tang!! Anyone?

bill109

Originally Posted by helpme74
http:///forum/post/2734739
I had a very bad Damsel and this 2 Liter soda bottle trap worked great

I took me two days . just start putting food inside of bottle you will catch shrimp and snails but it will catch the little guy
this thing reallyyy works.. just dont feed one day.. then put some food in the bottle.
u may catch other fish but i know it works. it caught me an angelfish who had an appetite for corals..

zeke92

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2725712
get small trout hooks and fish for them. I caught a few fish this way.
this makes me want to buy a 50 gallon tub, buy some damsels, and sit it in my room when i'm bored. thats pretty funny lol
hmm...i wonder...catching guppies >.>

shipwrecked

Heres the story I had a japanese damsel in my 90 gal reef,nice little fish,bright orange,blue highlights...anyways that fish did so much damage to my reef tank than anything else I ever had.So after eating lots of polyps,beating up my green tree leather and harrasing any new fish I added,I finally had enough.Thinking on how much work was involved in taking everything out,I decided to "go fishing" frantically I searched around for what I had laying around the house...after a few minutes I came up with a tiny fish hook,some dental floss(ok stop laughing) and a peice of pepperoni...I baited the hook as my son and wife are laughing at me,but desperate times ... anyways I stood back casted the line,er a floss and waitedthe current picked up the floss and drifted..suddenly the damsel darted up from the depths like the shark he was,and "bam" took the bait!!! I think they heard me in Wisconsin when I yelled in victory,I never got this excited when I fished for large bass on lakes..now Ive learned since then,no matter how pretty these little devils of damsels look,dont add them to the reef...hope this helped