How can I remove a mushroom from a rock

syres1

I have a live rock with about 30 mushrooms and over 50 baby featherdusters on it. The shrooms get soo big when the lights come on they hardely have any space for themselves. How can i move some of the mushrooms without asking for trouble or killing them?

solonfairy

take a flathead screwdriver and chisel just under the mushroom removing the little area of rock that the mushroom is attached to
this little chip of rock will also allow you to use super glue gel and relocate the mushroom easier

jellybowl

or you could cut them with a pair of scissors at the stalk. Then the remaining stalk will grow back into a small mushroom, and the head can be mounted on another rock in a few days. It's not a bad way to procreate them actually. Although, I have heard that the fluids are toxic in the tank, I have never had a problem with this.
What color mushrooms?

solonfairy

i was assuming since the OP talked about the mushrooms getting big and not having room that they wanted to completely relocate the mushroom
but yeah.. clipping them will work as long as you dont mind the mushroom regrowing in the area it was originally located.

syres1

no dont want them to regrow, there are to many for my tank, I'll make some pix later when the lights come on

syres1

n e 1 needs shrooms? Shrooms fresh cut shrooms. lol. Under the mushrooms are some nice baby featherdusters, Yellow and purple, really cool.

cmack

I could be wrong, but that looks like aptasia to the botom left of the mushrooms. Could explain why the ones on the left are closed up.

sawillia

If you mix kalk into a liquid then inject it into the stem it will kill them or "prune" them back for the PC of us.
I hear lime/lemon juice works well...
The strong the kalk... the fast the wilt... becareful not to prune to many at one time... an overload of kalk could move your alk quickly
HTH
s
I thought that was Aptasia too... from the pic... lemon juice at the base will take care of him too ;)

syres1

yes it is aptasia I have that shi* all over my tank, i also got me 2 peppermint shrimp, but they don't seem to help any. so lemon juice, k I'll try that next week or so. I tryed to cut them but they come back.

streetsurf

I had a few stalks of aiptasia and I boiled some water in the microwave and used an eyedropper and squirted the boiling water in the hole that the aiptasia was in and it worked like a charm. quick and painless

mobikobeyob

Syres1, where are you at in FL? I'll come over and show ya how to remove them, I will even discard them for you No Charge!
Seriously, I would like one, maybe we can swap or something.
Mobi:D

~sc~emt~

there are actaully nudibranch being bread that eat aiptasia and a copper band butterfly would take care of it also.

D

dholmblad

Ill pay shipping if you wannna ship me a few my tank is looking boring.

therick

i live in west palm beach and wouldn't mind the 10 minute drive out to royal palm if your willing to part w/ a mushroom or 2...let me know..i have no problem fragging something in my tank once the spreading begins.