How come?

Y

yae4volcom

Why does it say peppermint shrimp by my name.......I dont want to be a peppermint shrimp!:rolleyes:

clarkiiboi

Everyone has a "title" under their names, it all goes with the amount of posts. Everyone new to the board gets the peppermint shrimp, its no big deal. :) At least it wasnt a mantis shrimp! LOL

Y

yae4volcom

What exactly is a mantis shrimp and why are they so bad?

crabbypants

THEY ARE KILLERS!!!!! AUGH!!!!!! I just fresh water enema treatmented 2 out of my system. Do a search on the net for info on the mantis shrimp. It will give you a great look into the power of small creatures.

Y

yae4volcom

If you stuck your finger next to it, and if it bit....would it hurt?

crabbypants

Hi there,
From my reading on the net it seems these buggers will lacerate human flesh fairly easily. Tales of toes and fingers having to be taken off after an attack are prevelent, however I know only what I have read. Supposidly they can shoot thier claw out with the force of a .22, and have been known to break the glass of aquariums.
Yup I think it would hurt, but it is not a bit it is a jab with a lot of force. Crawl the web and see what you come up with.
CP

kalim2002

well, consider that they never asked to be dropped into your tank, and that they only kill to feed themselves and remain alive (unlike human beings, who kill other animals and each other for just about any reason, including abstract concepts like religion and nationalism).
if they are in your reef, the best advise would be to try to get them out, especially if you don't want to see your invertebrate population, then your fish, start becoming food.
you can then either give them to someone who wants to keep them, or keep them in a species tank. they are very interesting critters, relatively "smart" and personable.
here's several galleries of pics showing how colorful and beautiful some are:
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics.htm
note that i have kept smashers with various fish for long periods of time with no problems, so long as the mantis is kept well fed.