How could this fish still be alive?

ckehl

I own a purple queen anthias and it has never eaten any fish food I've put in the tank. I've had him for a few weeks thinking he wouldn't survive because he never eats, but he must be getting some form of food as he is alive and kicking.

emperor11

Originally Posted by ckehl
I own a purple queen anthias and it has never eaten any fish food I've put in the tank. I've had him for a few weeks thinking he wouldn't survive because he never eats, but he must be getting some form of food as he is alive and kicking.
I believe the Purple Queens feed on zooplankton as their primary source of food in the wild. If you have a well-established reef, it produces zoo-plankton on its own, and this may be what its feeding on. Got any pics by chance? I'd love to see him.

ckehl

He is one of the coolest fish in my tank because he only comes out every so often, it's like a treat to see him. Therefore, no pictures yet, but I'm going to get some soon.
My tank has only been up since December, but I guess I must've done something right :thinking:
If he can survive, think a mandarin could?

ckehl

I know, but I was thinking that if my tank can produce supple amounts of zooplankton, maybe it is doing the same with copepods.

pallan

but copepods you would be able to see a large amount of them, and the problem with mandarins and others like it is that even though you may have a large amount in your tank eventually they will decimate the population. so that is why it is recomended to have a sump/refuge to have a predator free area where pods can reproduce and keep tank suppy up.
if you have a refuge and do see alot of pods in tank and refuge then yeah a mandarin might work. tank still kinda young so id be careful and research a quick way to get live pods quickly in case your population dies off.

ckehl

I've never seen a copepod in my tank so I have no idea what to look for, but I'm not about to jeapordize a mandarine life for my own pleasure.