How did you haul our fish tank?

novahobbies

I managed to move my 110g plus stand in the mazda mpv. The tank went across the two middle seats, the rear seats were removed and the stand went back there. Easy-peasy. I also moved my aunt's 90g in this manner (same footprint as the 110)

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by fraggle rock
http:///forum/post/3149359
UHAUL , local trucks are cheap, and you wont have to think at all about fitting in the truck, your front door on the other hand.........
I agree but if I have to drive a lot of miles, the mileage will get my on a uhaul. They want .89 per mile. Plus $20 for the truck. Wehere as enterprise wants $89 for a F-150 w/ unlimited mileage. Fuel mileage is also better with a truck rather than a uhaul.

yummysalt

I moved a 220g tank, stand, and canopy all at once in a regular truck. No problem. You do have to tie things down to keep it safe. With the truck back door open, you should have enough room to support the 125 gallon long tank.
Like someone mentioned, the cheapest way is to see if any of your friends have a truck to help you move.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3149087
Now that was probably a site to see...a caddy with a fish tank hanging out of the back

It was a 30min drive from work, then probably an 1 1/2 hour drive from the guys place to my house. Drove right through the heart of Orlando, so hopefully I gave some tourists a good show. Three cops drove past, and I can't believe I didn't get pulled over (can't see the tag, for one). The trunklid acting like a giant spoiler, limited me to 55mph on the highway.
It was a game of millimeters though. I pre-measured too with a box the same size as the stand, and it fit in the trunk, but when it came time, no way.

casper1875

Brought the 75 home in my husbands Blazer, the 180 and stand in our sons pickup. It took 4 of us to move it. I then bought furniture movers to roll the tank around in the basement. I love those things. Less strain on the backs.

flower

Originally Posted by scottnlisa
http:///forum/post/3148974
How did everybody get their fish tanks moved to theirs homes? I am looking to purchase a 90 to 125 gallon fish tank and can't figure out what I need to haul it. Will it fit in my Geo Metro
just kidding. I am looking into renting a Ford excursion or a large SUV with fold down seats. Or do you think I need a conversion van. Please supply your input. Thanks. I will be hauling the fish tank, stand, rock, and sand. Thanks for your help..........

My LFS hauled my 75g tank and stand, in his van and had a friend help him bring it into the house. His is one of those rare Mom and Pop stores...he is 70 years old, your average LFS won't do this... ***** I think will drop ship a tank.
I then purchased a 90g, from the same LFS I got my 75g...and by then had my own van (Stow and Go from Chrysler) and picked it up...LOL...I don't think a 125 would have fit in the van.

scopus tang

Will ultimetely depend on size and dimensions of the tank you buy. If you can build the bottom of the bed up on the pick-up (i.e. a secure stack of lumber) so things can sit over the top of the fenderwells, you should be able to fit stand, cover, and tank into the 6' bed of a F150 (although you may have to leave the tailgate down and use straps to hold everything into the bed). I also recommend a carpet or something under the tank, so it doesn't slide. If you add addition things like sumps/fuge, filters, sand and liverock I doubt that you will get it all in a single load. I've used suburbans, enclosed trailers, car haulers, and pick-ups to move different sized tanks. Without knowing what tank you're actually buying, if the stand is standard or custom, etc. its really hard to say what you'll need to move it.

zsqure

Call me nuts but I drove from Ohio to Atlanta for a tank, and it was nothing special. 90gal, stand, hood, wet/dry. Sand in 5 gal bkts, pumps, everything. the stand, hood, buckets and pumps went into the bed of my short bed 3/4 ton crewcab and the tank went into the back seat. Down and back in 28 hrs, what a marathon.

julie853

Okay zsqure, you beat me I thought driving 180 miles each way to get my tank was crazy.
I brought it(180 gallon) home in my husbands Nissan Titan.My husband has allways owned a truck so bringing home my tanks(and there have been many over the years
) has not been a problem for us.

chrisnif

My best suggestion would be to rent one of the flat bed trucks they have at lowes, its $20 for the first hour and a half and you dont pay for fuel ;) Also maybe a smaller uhaul, 20-30 bux for the smaller ones and local ones have free milage.

mikecurrin

I put my 55 gal across the back seat of my elantra, stand on the 4X6 trailer behind me with all the LR in 18 gal rubbermade containers.

t316

Originally Posted by Mikecurrin
http:///forum/post/3149876
I put my 55 gal across the back seat of my elantra, stand on the 4X6 trailer behind me with all the LR in 18 gal rubbermade containers.
This reminds me...I sold a 55 once on craigslist. It was a Chinese or Vietnamese couple that bought it. We could understand each other, but I asked him on the phone if he had a pickup truck. He said yes, no problem moving. They showed up at my house in some Toyota compact car, and insisted he could make it work. We had the tank in the back seat, the stand in the trunk hanging 3/4 out, pipes, buckets of sand, lights/canopy, pumps, etc strowed all over the vehicle. We had to put the girl in the passenger seat and "build" around her
I give him credit though, he made it work.

tetsuo

I used a truck rental from Home Depot, $20 for an hour and a half and just re-gas it. No paying for miles, just for the time. I was going to end up paying around $60-80 for Uhual or any other moving company, but I ended up only paying $28 for renting a truck at Home Depot.

mikecurrin

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3149881
This reminds me...I sold a 55 once on craigslist. It was a Chinese or Vietnamese couple that bought it. We could understand each other, but I asked him on the phone if he had a pickup truck. He said yes, no problem moving. They showed up at my house in some Toyota compact car, and insisted he could make it work. We had the tank in the back seat, the stand in the trunk hanging 3/4 out, pipes, buckets of sand, lights/canopy, pumps, etc strowed all over the vehicle. We had to put the girl in the passenger seat and "build" around her
I give him credit though, he made it work.
That is too funny!!!

ophiura

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3149083
Our 240gal/125gal fit in our Suburban pretty easily.
Our 90gal when I didn't have it, and only had my Caddy, a different story,

OK, thanks for the laugh...and the memories. 'Cause when I worked at an LFS, indeed, this wasn't unusual.

browniebuck

from the sounds of things, you have a distance to travel....my dad and I just moved a 150 in a Windstar (bench and captains chairs removed)...but it took us two trips (which wasn't a problem as they were basically about a mile away from my house).
If making more than one trip isn't a problem, this worked quite well, the stand in one trip and the tank in another (with both trips having some of the smaller stuff included with them).

rlablan

I put my custom 200 in my FORD EDGE. Its a cross over (for anyone who doesn't know) and It is about 33 inchs tall (tank) and 51 length, by 31 width. We also had all the tan equipment, 2 30 gal rubber made tubs of rock and coral skeletons and 3 strip lights. The seats lay nearly flat and the tailgate closed all the way too.
The stand, same dimensions followed behind us in a regular ford f 150, along with the canopy, tailgate closed.
That is the tank, with me in it and I am 5'11'' nearly.
I am still amazed that the edge could do that! I think any old truck should be fine, as long as your can secure it and know it wouldn't fall out.

ironeagle2006

I moved my 150 and my wife and 2 kids at the same time. Called removed the rear seats out of my minivan then when to Petsmart to get it. The tank and Stand fit in the back it was tight then piled the rest of the crap around the kids. Hey got everything in one trip and also stopped for dinner without an issue.