how do fish....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They swim away from it. Of course, in an aquarium, that's impossible.

florida joe

it is a little parasite and a big ocean the currents make it almost imposable for a fish to get impacted to the point of causing death

mastertech

so what percentage would you say of the wild caught fish are hosting a parasite.
why is it that tangs seem to be more apt to be a host.
IMO there would be a huge demand for a supplier to sell post-hyposalinity treated fish.
yes i know thats a lot of work and resorces but there are PLENTY of people that would pay up to 2x + the price for fish with a "no parasite" policy.

aquaknight

This is all hypothentical of course...
But low. I would tend to believe fish that swim miles a day like tangs would be less likely to have something like Ich. Where a clownfish that never leaves it's anemone, would be more likely. It also depends on the type of fish at hand. Most Large Angels or Anthias that arrive with internal parasites, they likely got those in the ocean.
I'm not sure of that business idea, you'd go broke refunding people after they had a disease breakout. Not necessarily from your fish, but it would be impossible to prevent customers from potentially introducing Ich from other sources.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is your responsibility as a hobbyist to quarantine your fish, not the LFS. They can't make any money if they keep their fish for hypo. If a LFS gets weekly shipments of new fish, how many QTs do you think they will need to set up to do hypo on all their fish for the shipments they receive weekly?
Hobbyist Responsibility. You can't be lazy in this hobby.

florida joe

why is it that tangs seem to be more apt to be a host.
It is generally believed that the thickness of the skin and amount of slime coat has to do with what species of fish are susceptible to ick

mastertech

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3214924
It is your responsibility as a hobbyist to quarantine your fish, not the LFS. They can't make any money if they keep their fish for hypo. If a LFS gets weekly shipments of new fish, how many QTs do you think they will need to set up to do hypo on all their fish for the shipments they receive weekly?Hobbyist Responsibility. You can't be lazy in this hobby.
FYI you cant be lazy in any hobby and be profitable. try being lazy with competition shooting and see what happens. I'm not arguing that one should be lazy I'm saying there may be a market. i am not trying to argue just engage in profitable dialog.... jeez.
the responsibility is mine. that is why i have had a powder brown in HT for 3 weeks.
but i still think there is a market. (no "return policy" just "a peace of mind policy")
and maybe not for all the fish that come into the LFS just the expensive or susceptible ones.

florida joe

do you really think a LFS is going to sit on a fish for six weeks to make sure it is ick free and if it does come down with Ick they have to add the time frame to cure it to there overall holding time. Not to mention the man hours involved in maintaining therapeutic levels of the treatment procedure. Bottom line is profit and it is made through rapid turn over

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ask people in the business then, and they will tell you that there is not a market. Fish businesses make little money off of fish anyway. Most of their money comes from dry goods, live rock and corals--not fish.
We are just discussing, so don't take offense.

mastertech

no offense taken. a forum has skewed emotional expressions sometimes.
all these are just opinions and random thoughts and can be taken for just that.

ryancw01

To answer your question THEY EAT and are healthy. It is very hard for a healthy fish to get ick even in a home aquarium unless you really screw up and let crazy temperature swings happen. Tangs get stressed out very easily and are more prone to ick for that reason. They are plucked from the ocean and put into containers and flown accross the earth. This is going to be stressful, so you are on a time crunch to get them eating as soon as possible. Once they start eating algae sheets though it is game over. They will get stronger and stronger and the ick will be without a host. Whenever I get a new fish I feed the crap out of them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree that is is hard for healthy fish to get ich in the home aquarium. Its not hard at all. Fish do not fight off parasites just as dogs and cats don't. In a enclosed environment, they can not escape the parasite and will succumb. One small problem, such as a water change, can potentially kick off a parasite plague.

J

jstdv8

whoa, now Im really confused.
I thought you were just joking in your first thread when you said they swim away from this stuff.
I was kind of envisioning ich being like the flu. So its hanging out in the sand of the ocean in its little toment cyst until it hatches into tomites that are free swimming, so they cruise around in the ocean and look for a fish to latch onto and start thier life cycle all over. If they don't find a fish in 2 days time they die.
You are saying that the fish can litteraly see these things and get away from them in the water of the ocean?

ryancw01

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3215842
I disagree that is is hard for healthy fish to get ich in the home aquarium. Its not hard at all. Fish do not fight off parasites just as dogs and cats don't. In a enclosed environment, they can not escape the parasite and will succumb. One small problem, such as a water change, can potentially kick off a parasite plague.
Ok. Fair enough. I guess it would depend on the husbandry of the particular home aquarium. You would agree though that it is 'harder' for a healthy fish to contract the white-spot disease? Cryptocaryon will target stressed fish with lowered immune systems. They cannot prey on a healthy fish. Though it is true that because of the enclosed space the home aquarium the population can explode rather rapidly, they prey on weak fish stressed fish.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3216233
Ok. Fair enough. I guess it would depend on the husbandry of the particular home aquarium. You would agree though that it is 'harder' for a healthy fish to contract the white-spot disease? Cryptocaryon will target stressed fish with lowered immune systems. They cannot prey on a healthy fish. Though it is true that because of the enclosed space the home aquarium the population can explode rather rapidly, they prey on weak fish stressed fish.
You are on the right track. Ich is a parasite. Trying to say a healthy fish can avoid Ich, is like saying a healthy person can avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. In a closed system where there's no where to go, the fish can not help it.
However you are indeed right on the stress part. Perhaps more then anything else involving marine fish is stress. Once the fish is calm, and eating strong, they can help fight off the tomites that are burrowing into them. Sometimes... (there are occasions where there's so many fish in a small tank the Ich levels can't be controlled and treatment is the only option)
Personally, this is why you see threads like "I haven't added to my tank in 2 years, but I just got an ich outbreak." Healthy fish can certainly go a long way in suppressing Ich to "livable" levels.

z06 vette

I thought that Ich, being a parasite, was not out to kill the host but rather live off of it. I also thought that Ich does not kill the fish, but rather the secondary infections they get from the prasite eating at them. I also thought that when a specific fish has successfully thrived past an Ich infestation, that it did not get rid of it. The Ich paraiste just coexist within the fish, thus later when the fish gets stressed the parasite is exposed and the while cycle starts all over again.