How do I acclimate these monsters?

teen

algae could just be because the tank isnt mature. the lmb will most likely help with the algae, but i would go with a few mexican turbo snails, like babyb said. and i would skip the linkia for now.

royal gang

Yeh im skipping the linkia but what about the zebra hermits? do they suck? if i get bad responses i will switch to turbo's... but if not i will get 30 of them... my skimmer takes out average ick also, like i would say 1/4 of a glass a week. ;)
Oh yeah, and also about that xenia... thx for responces all been pretty good help til' now :D

teen

ive got about 5 zebras in my 30g. id say you want about 10-15 if its in your 46 gallon. there nice hermits, they dont really harm anything, i also like the scarlets.

rstiles

For the algae try a sea bunny its one of many things I tried, it ate all the alge in one tank,I them moved it over to another tank, so far its eaten every thing thats green!!! .
As far as food for an xenia thay get most of their nutrition from their zooxanthellas but do well with microphytoplankton supplements (quoted from the book marine invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek)

bigskyreef

Emerald crabs are algae eating machines that will also eat other food (leftovers, flake, pellet) if there is not enough algae. Unlike some creatures that depend only on algae, they won't starve once they have cleaned it up. They will clean mostly just the rock. You will want snails for cleaning the glass.

1journeyman

Just remember, crabs are opportunistic. Emeralds, hermits, etc. can kill/eat other critters. It doesn't always happen, but putting 15-30 hermits in a tank is asking for a snail massacre.

royal gang

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Just remember, crabs are opportunistic. Emeralds, hermits, etc. can kill/eat other critters. It doesn't always happen, but putting 15-30 hermits in a tank is asking for a snail massacre.
I will provide them well with shells :D

scubaguy

Hey Royal,
You might try a longblack spine urchin. They do great on the algea but make sure when you stick your hand in the tank you know where the urchin is. I have been stuck by it a few times but it stings a little but no big deal. They are venomous so you might want to wear gloves if you get one.

royal gang

Originally Posted by ScubaGuy
Hey Royal,
You might try a longblack spine urchin. They do great on the algea but make sure when you stick your hand in the tank you know where the urchin is. I have been stuck by it a few times but it stings a little but no big deal. They are venomous so you might want to wear gloves if you get one.
Theres not too many LFS' around here so i cant(and I wanted a reef) or it will bite them, err I mean sting.
THX FOR REPLIES EVERYONE, so... I wanted to get that bunch of crabs and snails not just for the algae but also because i dont hae a cleaning crew yet, I NEED ONE!!

reefer545

You should NOT just temp acclimate anything. EVER. Well, maybe a gorgonian that is super hardy-and you KNOW your params are GREAT. Temp acclimate and THEN drip acclimate. STARS ESPECIALLY. THE LONGER THE BETTER. Same with Fan worms. ACCLIMATION is KEY. the linkia is a great idea, but practically, not so good if you care. Get a serpent or brittle, but not a green brittle. You will not see them as much, but they will live a long life if you take care of your tank. Make sure temp does not fluctuate too much, as well, if your tank is in direct sunlight it may impact both temp and algae. Nass snails are the best in my opinion. Hare slugs are better. Keep your fish stock low, and your coral high, and you should be fine with once a week water dchanges as well as filter cleansing. YOU CAN NOT ACCLIMATE FOR TOO LONG ONLY TOO LITTLE AS LONG AS TEMP STAYS RELATIVE.
You may want to let your tank mature a bit longer and od more research before spending what sounds like a good bit a money. PATIENCE is a KEY to having a happy tank. Plus summer is around the corner and if your tnak fluctuates a lot, you are going to freak and so will the livestock
Good luck, please listen to everyone. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH
R545

1journeyman

Royal, corals should be added only after you have everything else under control. That includes a balanced clean up crew.
Avoid Urchins. They are not reef safe.

royal gang

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Royal, corals should be added only after you have everything else under control. That includes a balanced clean up crew.
Avoid Urchins. They are not reef safe.
No they are NOT. Yeah, this month im going to get a wave-maker to switch currents a bit, I'm not going for corals till' i get my algae gone, this month I will spend my $200.00 on a cleaning crew and the wave-maker...
@reefer of course stars are drip acclimated I know patience is the KEY i waited 4 months before I got my first chromis... thx again, and also to all THESE BOARDS ARE **********!