How do I clean this skimmer?

saltyjewell

I moved into this house with the 170g tank. I've gotten most of the sump cleaned up and had to replace the side filter altogether but used what material out of the old for the new as I could. I'm now ready to deal with the skimmer but I've never had one before so am afraid to pull it a part to clean it out. What do I do? I'm afriad I won't be able to get it back together and running. The filter I replaced had green prongs and gave me a really good shock and shorted out even though a clean the prong the best I could. pervious owner left the tank a real mess.

flower

Originally Posted by SaltyJewell
http:///forum/post/3094634

I moved into this house with the 170g tank. I've gotten most of the sump cleaned up and had to replace the side filter altogether but used what material out of the old for the new as I could. I'm now ready to deal with the skimmer but I've never had one before so am afraid to pull it a part to clean it out. What do I do? I'm afriad I won't be able to get it back together and running. The filter I replaced had green prongs and gave me a really good shock and shorted out even though a clean the prong the best I could. pervious owner left the tank a real mess.

170g just waiting for some TLC to call it yours!!!

At the base of the skimmer collection cup there should be a ring...twist it and take the cup off and clean it in good hot water...the main part can also be washed in good hot water...use salt as an abrasive if it needs to be scrubbed.