how do i eliminate a back syphon (drilled tank)?

mlwoods007

I have a 125gal tank with dual overflows. I want to make sure i don't get a back syphon in case of a power outage. How do i do this? Should i drill a hole in the "squids"? Is there some other trick besides that?

zeroc

you can either install a one way valve in the return line but those could potentially fail. a hole at the water line is the best way, unless it's clogged with junk it would be the best and safest way. or if one of your spouts is at the water line once i get to air it will suck air and break the siphon that way too. you should always have spare room in your sump for this possibility, so obviously to test to make sure you're good, run the system turn it off and see where the water line in your sump stops. hopefully stops with room to spare.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ZeroC
you can either install a one way valve in the return line but those could potentially fail.
Replace "could potentially" with "will eventually"

zeroc

in short air into the line is the only way you're going to guarantee to break the siphon.

scsinet

Originally Posted by salty blues
Is a back siphon one that reverses flow in your pump discharge line? (tryin' to edumacate myself)
Yes.

mlwoods007

drilled last night and running beautifully! I don't know why i was worried about drilling the black squids in the first place... Thanks all!