How do I frag mushrooms?

coral keeper

I have a lot of mushrooms and am going to be selling them, but how do I frag it safely without tearing it apart? Here are some pictures of the mushrooms.

silverdak

you could just give it time..... mine are splitting all by themselves...
from what i have heard there insides and intestions are on the bases at the bottom... so if you try and cut it off the rock it might kill it. to make it multiply you can just cut a "pizza" slice out of it and glue it to a piece of LR or whatever you are using as a frag holder and it will grow on that

coral keeper

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2699818
well if you dont wanna sell them... lol juct cut em right off and throw em out!
I want to sell them so I can make some money off of them lol. That's why I'm asking how to frag it without taring them apart lol.

silverdak

I would say to pizza cut them onto rocks.. wait to make sure they grow the remove what is left in the tank and just get rid of them... if you frag one mushroom into 10 little ones you can toss the piece left int he tank

reefkprz

your best bet is to try and chisel the rock under them or clip the riock without damaging the shroom. even if you sdo a little damage to them they should recover relativly quick.

billy73

Go to utube thier is a how to frag shroom vid. And yes it looks a little scary at first but you will get the hang of it.

D

dennis210

The following method works great for me:
Get a bowl of tank water ready, get a breeder basket net that hangs or clips on side of tank (buy a plastic hang on container that the fish store uses to hold bags while getting your fish & drill a bunch of hole in it), just any container water will pass through, cover bottom of container with calcium carbonate gravel, now with a scalpal or new razor knife cut/scrape off mushroom from substrate, place in bowl of tank water, harvest all the mushrooms you care to this way, then place/pour bowl of tank water & cut mushrooms into container hang on side of tank with gravel in it, slowly flip them all right side up, now forget about them for two weeks, after that time they will all have attached to gravel pieces that are easily super glued to larger rocks for sale or trade. Hope that helps. Getting the right container is the hardest part of project. Also if you place the container on the side of the tank with the return nozzle; you can rubberband a piece of airline tubing sticking well into return and place the other end into your mushroom container for a little flow over them!

stanlalee

here's a cliff note version:
take a razor blade and cut them straight down the center, preferably with right thru the mouth/center. they will heal into two seperate shrooms. I've done it myself. works

snakeblitz33

Take a scalpel and cut them off at the base as close as possible. I wouldn't use scissors, because the pinching action of them causes a lot more damage then good. Also, once you have cut them off, I would not just go ahead and glue them to something. The glue will basically burn them. I would take and put them in a small dish with some crushed coral or shells and wait until they attach to something. Once they are attached, then they are sellable. (You glue the shells or CC to a rock, not the actual mushroom)
I hope this helps.