how do I frag xenia?

I have a fairly large xenia colony and would like to transplant one to a small piece of live rock. How do I keep the little guy from getting washed away before it re-connects itself to the new rocK? there are some holes in the rock I want to use, should I just stick the base of the coral into one of these holes?

jackri

Veil material is the best to wrap over them until they attach. Kinda like wedding veil material.. probably get it at any craft store... unfortunately I just flushed about 20-30 heads of xenia down the toilet.
I got the xenia from someone that was on a dead piece of coral with sponge growing on it.... well hair algae grew on that piece and that piece only... and I tried pulling out the hair algae but the xenia grew on top of the hair algae so getting rid of that meant the xenia as well. Well pulled the piece out to clean it and keep the black sponge growing all over but soooo full of hair algae and bubble algae it wasnt worth it. Still have 20-30 stalks of xenia left in the tank and some on plugs so I'm not running short by any means but still a shame to get rid of it.. but well worth not having nuissance algae.
Oh! Another trick to frag xenia.... put a plug on top or next to it... xenia grows up and will grow up on the plug naturally as well.

Veil material huh? Wow I NEVER would have thought of that! Thanks, I'll send my wife after some next time she goes to her craft store, normally 3 or 4 times a week!

mikev

place a small rock (or whatever you want the frag attatched to) next to the xenia colony. one or more of the stalks will move onto the rock and you can remove it easily.

Just read a chapter in my book about this and gonna try it on my xenia. After you cut the piece you with to move stick a toothpick through the bottom and rubberband the toothpick to the piece of live rock you want it on. Seems like a good idea to me.

sickboy

Originally Posted by reefaholic33
http:///forum/post/2918149
Just read a chapter in my book about this and gonna try it on my xenia. After you cut the piece you with to move stick a toothpick through the bottom and rubberband the toothpick to the piece of live rock you want it on. Seems like a good idea to me.
thats how I do it.

rael

Originally Posted by mikev
http:///forum/post/2917273
place a small rock (or whatever you want the frag attatched to) next to the xenia colony. one or more of the stalks will move onto the rock and you can remove it easily.
This worked for me. I took several small pebbles and built it up around the base of the coral and within a week or two had a few frags.

morval

ive done both the toothpick and rock rubble method and they work great. for you i would do the toothpick as you have a large colony and want to split it

I sat a piece of line rock beside a larger xenia the other day. It has already attached itself to the new rock. I expect a pretty nice frag soon. Thanks for all the great tips everyone! How much should a xenia frag sell for at a LFS? Mine offers $10 cash or $15 store credit. Is that a rip-off?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by clownfishguy45
http:///forum/post/2924242
I sat a piece of line rock beside a larger xenia the other day. It has already attached itself to the new rock. I expect a pretty nice frag soon. Thanks for all the great tips everyone! How much should a xenia frag sell for at a LFS? Mine offers $10 cash or $15 store credit. Is that a rip-off?
heck no. my LFS will barely take xenia frags for free, theyd never pay you for them. i wish i had a place willing to give me $10 for them!

nano reefer

heres what i do fir mshrooms and xenia:
get a small daisy cup (the kind of container that your duck sauce comes in from the chinese restaurant)
put some pebbles on the bottom
drop in your coral
put in the lid after poking a few holes with a pencil or pen (or use some kind of mesh)
wait 1-2 weeks and you can take em out!