How do I get the nitrates down?

I just took my weekly readings in my tank and everything is in check except nitrates. They are getting pretty high. 80ppm So how do I get them down?

seecrabrun

Quick answer- water change. How often do you do them?

What size is your tank and has it finished cycling? There are ways to help keep nitrates down over time, but fastest is a water change and then addressing why they are rising.

Last edited:

flower

Hi,

Water change, and if you don't want nitrates, phosphates or any other nasty in the tank, so that your water can stay pristine.... get macroalgae...Check out a macro site called "Golf Coast Ecosystems" They also have an on-line book so you can read up on them..

I have a 60 gallon tank and it cycled over two months ago. I do water changes every other week. I am going to do one in the morning. Flower I have been there and don't really know what a good macroalgae to have. I know my wife loves a clean looking tank and anything that looks like a snake is out of the question. It has taken her a month to get used to the feather duster. Thanks for your help.

How much water at a time do you change? I personally prefer a 10% per week.
That is what I change. I just had all my fish in my QT for ich and the water change I did for that was 25%. I ran the test today to see how my parameters were before the fish come home. That's when I noticed the change in nitrates. It could be because the fish were not in to eat all the food and the cleanup crew didn't eat all that I put in. I am using the API test kit and from what I hear it tests high for nitrates.

geridoc

The API test kit must be used with their recommended ranges, not those usually posted. The difference is between measuring just the nitrogen in nitrates (most kits), and the total nitrate (which is a larger molecule than just nitrogen, so produces different numerical values, as in the API kit). Eliminating nitrates can be done in 4 different ways. As already suggested, macroalgae, either in a sump or in an algae scrubber, works well. Nitrate is removed in the absence of oxygen, so deep sand beds or nitrate reactors where flow is very slow and oxygen levels are low will also eventually work. There are nitrate-absorbing resins that can be used to lower the levels. And, finally, water changes always work eventually. Of these, I personally favor using macroalgae, but in a scrubber. Macroalgae will remove nitrates, phosphates, heavy metals and almost everything else you don't want in your water (except for the soap your 3 year old son has dumped into the tank), and self regulates. As the nutrient levels rise the algae grows faster to remove it; as nutrient levels fall, the algae grows more slowly. All you have to do is harvest the algae periodically and you water should be fine.

steelgluer

What kind of water you using?
what kind of filtration you have?
How often do you feed?
Is everything being eaten or is it going to the bottom?
What type of food are you feeding?
If its brine shrimp STOP. Its loaded with nitrates. Put a little in some saltwater then check that water you will be amazed.

RobP

The only problem I have had with macroalgae is when your nitrates and phosphates are under control the macroalgae can die off because of lack of nutrition. My thought is you over feed and your clean up crew didn't get it all which caused all your parameters to spike and you only noticed it towards the end of the cycle.

beaslbob

FWIW a 10% water change every 8 days in a tank that is increasing nitrates (or anything else) at 1ppm/day will eventually read 80ppm nitrates just before the water changes. What happens is the nitrates go down to 72 then 8 days later have returned to 80.

To maintain nitrates (or anything else) at 0 (or constant values) you need to insure the tank is not changing.

With nitrates that means more nitrate consumer like macro algae. You can hide if from you wife with a simple partition.

Finally, with algae in the system, an occasional nitrate bumps are actually a good thing. What could be happening is the algae is consuming a sudden ammonia spike for nitrogen and less nitrates. Hence the nitrate bump. then when things settle down, the nitrates drop down. Meanwhile there was no dangerous ammonia spike.

my .02

flower

The only problem I have had with macroalgae is when your nitrates and phosphates are under control the macroalgae can die off because of lack of nutrition. My thought is you over feed and your clean up crew didn't get it all which caused all your parameters to spike and you only noticed it towards the end of the cycle.
Dying off macros is an easy fix, do a test and see if there is enough iron, and supplement that...or LOL...add a little tap water, it has enough junk in it to feed macros that you will ever need..

geridoc

Just a follow-up on my earlier post about API nitrate tests: To convert from the API nitrate test to a "standard" nitrate nitrogen test, just divide the API result by 4. This is an approximation, but is close enough for our purposes in saltwater fishkeeping.

beaslbob

Dying off macros is an easy fix, do a test and see if there is enough iron, and supplement that...or LOL...add a little tap water, it has enough junk in it to feed macros that you will ever need..
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you mean with macros you can use tap water.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And a big LOL

flower

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you mean with macros you can use tap water.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And a big LOL
My Dear friend,

Did you not see my LOL? Re-read the sentence... I said, and I quote: "or LOL...add a little tap water, it has enough junk in it to feed macros that you will ever need"..

So no, I do NOT recommend, nor agree to fill ones tank with tap water, ever. Even with macros you should still not use tap water, a little as macro food, MAYBE....if it starts dying off, or add some iron AFTER you test first to see if it's needed.... There is stuff in tap water that macros will not feed on, such as fluoride and chlorine for example.

beaslbob

My Dear friend,

Did you not see my LOL? Re-read the sentence... I said, and I quote: "or LOL...add a little tap water, it has enough junk in it to feed macros that you will ever need"..

So no, I do NOT recommend, nor agree to fill ones tank with tap water, ever. Even with macros you should still not use tap water, a little as macro food, MAYBE....if it starts dying off, or add some iron AFTER you test first to see if it's needed.... There is stuff in tap water that macros will not feed on, such as fluoride and chlorine for example.

Just making a beaslbob point. Didn't mean to get my good friend Flower all upset.

I use iron also.

And had a mixed reef tank for 9 years using tap water.

But then I'm just a wierdo anyway. Didn't even do water changes.

so go figure.

But didn't mean to get Flower upset.

Now Bang Buy I used to upset all the time. We just laugh it off. LOL

flower

Just making a beaslbob point. Didn't mean to get my good friend Flower all upset.

I use iron also.

And had a mixed reef tank for 9 years using tap water.

But then I'm just a wierdo anyway. Didn't even do water changes.

so go figure.

But didn't mean to get Flower upset.

Now Bang Buy I used to upset all the time. We just laugh it off. LOL

LOL...

If it weren't for you, I would never have used macros. It was you who taught me about iron. So you are a dear, dear friend, I am not at all upset with you. I just didn't want anyone who was reading our posts to think I advocate using tap water. An established system can handle quite a bit of neglect, LOL...you and I are proof of that. You don't do water changes, and I am so crippled up that I most times I can't do a proper upkeep. But if any of those people reading our posts want a drop dead beautiful reef such as what Siptang has... they can't use tap water, and not do water changes.

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

I personally like algae scrubbers to control nitrate/phosphate.

More than likely , as Geridoc pointed out, your API test kit is reading total nitrogen instead of just Nitrate.

You'll get a feel for it as time progresses.