how do I glue a frag?

verde_ad

I just bought a monti frag and am wanting to attach it to a rock at the bottom of my tank. I would prefer to not have to dig the rock out to dry the piece. Can I just put the super glue on the frag and stick it under water? Will this work?
Thanks for any help,
AJ

verde_ad

Thanks for the help. I do have super glue gel, so it should be all good. I am so excited. this is my first SPS and I can't wait to put it in place.

verde_ad

Ok, so the glue isn't working. If I found a place to set the frag, will it eventually grow onto the rock? It is attached to small piece of rubble right now.

viper_930

Originally posted by verde_ad
If I found a place to set the frag, will it eventually grow onto the rock?

:yes:

verde_ad

I noticed that almost this exact conversation was happening in the sps forum. Sorry for making you repeat yourself, but I am greatful for the help. I found a good place for it. I will post a pic when my lights come on in the morning.

verde_ad

Here is a pic of the little guy. It is probably the size of a quarter. This pic is just under my PC's, the halides don't come on until later in the day.

Getting the glue to work under water is a bit tricky but here is what I do.
Gently pat the bottom of the frag dry. Put a thick/tall puddle of glue on the underside where it looks like it will eventually sit on the rock. Test fitting the frag where you want it in the aquarium is helpful and lets you see what part of the frag will touch the rock(and where to initially place the glue).
Take a piece of 1/8-1/4" wooden dowel and build up some of the gel on the end...sort of like a soft serve ice-cream cone. Use the dowel to apply the glue under water. As soon as the gel hits the water it will skin over and should not fall off. Place the glob-o-glue :) on the rock scraping it off the dowel. Try and be careful not to spread it around any more than you have to.
Now you have glue on the frag and underwater on the rock. Place the frag on the rock, into the glue, and gently twist. When you twist the frag you will break the skin on the glue and the two liquid centers will mix.
Here is the trick. Once you get them together and in a solid/semi-solid resting place. LEAVE IT ALONE :) It may seem like it is not very secure but it will take several minutes for the glue to set underwater. When it does it will be hard and the frag should be secure. To many times I played with my frags underwater and turned the glue into a mass of skin strings :eek: thinking the frag had to be rock solid before the glue had a chance to dry/cure.
After a few minutes(5-10) you can GENTLY push on the frag. If all goes well it will be very solid.
JME
SiF
PS sticking them in a crevice and allowing them to encrust is also a very viable option...when you do, try putting a little gel on the end going into the rock it will help secure it and provide a more mated fit with the rock.