How do I keep the tanks temperature low in the summer months?

team2jnd

As the days get hotter I am afraid that with the lights running the tank will get too hot. I have purchased a fan for the lights but all the same how do i ensure that no overheating will take place?
Thank you

T

tizzo

You know that whole, "blow a fan across the waters surface" thing?? It works wonders!!
I kept my AC on so that my house was 74. Now in the spring, I didn't want to turn it on just yet so I put the fan on, and watched my tank temp, which is 82. My house got all the way to 80 degrees and the tank temp didn't budge!! I am so excited about this. I hate the AC. I like my house open.
I have 2 250watt halides so if it worked this well for me...

57chev

Team2, Tizzo is right it will help a lot to move air across the top of the reef water. If you have a sump put a fan on that to. Its worked well for me I just have the fan kick on when the halides kick on. Another thing I did that my help you is the fans on my hood suck the air in to the hood and I have a vent in the center top of the hood that allows for good upward flow:yes:

ktsdad

I purchased a small bathroom fan, the kind that is built into the ceiling. You can get them at any Home Depot or local hardware store for around $15. The one I got is about 12x12x4 inches and runs off standard 115vac. It has a 3 inch outlet, so I also purchased a 3 inch flex line (similiar to what is attached to your dryer). The tank I use it on is a very tall 95 gallon Hex. I placed the fan on the floor, plugged it into the same timer as the lights, then ran the flex line up the back of the tank and positioned it so it blows across the water just under the lights.
I spend a total of $30, no fans or hoses visable and it dropped my tank temp 5 degrees.
Just my 2 cents worth....:D

nm reef

I use a pair of 4" fans installed in the canopy on timers and a 12" fan blowing on the sump to keep my 2x400 MH's & 2x110 VHO's from running my temp above 82...I believe in my situation I'll eventually install a chiller...probably dual stage to control the temp a little better. But for now fans seem to work decent enough.

A

andretti

No way...chillers are too much dinero! Plus, the fan across the top of the water works wonders. In addition, I use those "blue ice" things for coolers. Clean them several times with hot water, freeze 'em and you're ready to go! I use a total of four for my 125 and two for my 55. Our summers here are long and hot, and I do not want to run the A/C 15 hours a day. I've never had my tanks get above 83 using this method. You can also freeze bags of water in large ziplocks.

vmarius1

I took a lesson from Hooters.....I place a few ice cubes in a zip lock baggie and let it float on the surface and monitor religiously.