How do I lower my Ph? It is really high!

pclown

I have heard that too but I dont know for sure. I have heard people wanting to raise their PH not lower it, so this is a first. At least I will give you a bump and I want to know as well.

ophiura

What is your alkalinity and calcium?
Have you verified this reading with another test kit?
What kind of kit are you using?
Baking soda is an alkalinity buffer and IMO will not lower pH.
8.4 is not a concern, personally.

criminal

i thought because baking soda is sodium carbonate it raises Ph and white vinegar will lower it because it's an acid. my moms a chemistry teacher

firedog

Is vinegar safe for a tank? If I used vinegar to dissolve crushed coral what products would result? Been a long time since I had chemistry.

oozy

You may want to just do a 25% water change...
that usualy does the trick...
as far as adding vinigar and baking soda... it seems like an unnessary risk...
-oozy-

vtfishies

Originally Posted by criminal
i thought because baking soda is sodium carbonate it raises Ph and white vinegar will lower it because it's an acid. my moms a chemistry teacher

u ahve to bake it for 30 mins on 350 to reduce moisture..but yes it raises ph..i just did that last week...raised from 7.8 to 8.0 with 3 tbsp in ro water

jdecter

Theres products available at most LFS that lower and raise PH or even true it to 8.2 no matter what it is.
I'd first ask why it is high. Several things can spike it. Dead fish, maybe some external polutants like cleaning supply vapors, maybe your tap water is high as is? Maybe you have metals in your tank or in some of your pump system?
Trying to raise and lower PH with chemicals can spiral into a buffer nightmare of raising and lowering.
If your water change is a good PH level then I'd suggest you do a water change of 25% or so to see how it works.
If it is a water issue with your tap and you don't want to use store bought simply buy some of those PH balance options and mix it in with your water change habits.