How do I re-cycle a poorly set up 5 week old tank?

ole o

I think that my tank crashed. How do I go about cycling a 5 week old tank that has already had and killed fish. I may also have ich. All my fish are gone but I still have starfish, snails and crabs. How do I start fixing my huge mistake?

B

big911dog

with the possibility of ich, the ABSOLUTE best idea is to remove all livestock and start from scratch - including a dry tank to kill the ich.
i would also recommend a good starter book like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist".
Good luck. I remember from ur previous thread things were not good. They can be though with patience and knowledge!
hth...

new2u

no, but hes saying that if you did all the ich would be gone, but if you leave the tank fishless for a while (check into that i cant remember how long) the ich will die, and i would just check your levels riligiously and add a cleanup crew after your nitrites die down and about that time you can add some fish to your QT so once your ich dies you can add them right in!

equalizer

Leave your tank fishless for 8 weeks or longer. Ich needs a host to live on. Ich also dosen't host on inverts.
If you take your time, it will look as you imagined in your dreams. Remember in this hobby nothing good happens fast.
Good Luck