How do I stop tracking cookies

geoj

I figured I would pass this on to you guys
Q: How do I stop these tracking cookies that my anti-spyware software keeps bugging me about?

A:
The exact procedure isn't always obvious, but it requires at most seven -- and sometimes zero -- taps of the mouse button in your Web browser.
In Internet Explorer 6 (the version available since summer 2001), go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options and click the Privacy tab. Then click the "Advanced . . ." button; in the smaller window that pops up, check the box next to "Override automatic cookie handling" and choose "Block" under the "Third-party Cookies" heading. Click the OK button to confirm that setting.
In Mozilla Firefox, go to the Tools menu, select Options and click the Privacy icon. Click the Cookies heading to display the cookie-acceptance policy, then check the box next to "for the originating Web site only." Click the OK button.
In Safari, you don't have to do anything -- its default setting is to accept cookies "only from sites you navigate to," excluding those from third-party sources.
Cookies, in case you've been wondering, are little text files, measuring no more than a kilobyte or so each, that Web sites put on your computer as a scratchpad to store data. For example, many Web-based e-mail sites use cookies to store your user name, so you have to type in your password only when you log in.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I hope that works. The spam alerts from my AV every day, and having to go through and delete it every day, is very annoying.