How Do I Use This Voltage Meter

woody189

Hi,
I got this cheap meter and I'm not sure how to use it. I don't know where it should be switched to, and I'm not sure which of the 3 openings the 2 (black and red) prongs go into.
Also, once I have it set up, I plan on putting the red prong into the water, and the black into the grounding hole on one of the outlets in my surge protector.
Sound good?
It's a 7 function multimeter just like this one...
http://www.310vapers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/u/multimeter-white.jpg

2quills

Sounds good enough if you're looking for stray voltage. I'd start with the dial turned to 200 ACV since that's your lowest setting for alternate current.
Black lead (common) goes in the bottom hole of the meter.
Red lead (positive) goes in the middle hole on the meter.
If you're testing D.C. current for Amps then you'd use the red lead in the top hole and black on bottom (not applicable in this case).
P.S. I wouldn't freak out if you happen to see up to several volts. Let us know what you find. :)

woody189

Thanks Quills.
I'm glad I decided to test it before I got any livestock. I'm currently cycling my tank and decided to test it to be safe. My heater in my DT was giving off 25 Volts! I obviously unplugged it and now my water's at just below 2 volts. According to you that's normal so it's all good in the hood.
I'm wondering if my heater was defective years ago when I had my tank running the first time.
Anyway, thanks again.

2quills

Not sure that your heater is defective. All electical devices will emit some amount of voltage. I think the question is whether it's a problem or not. I dont think its causing any harm. If you get another one you'll probably see similar results. I wouldnt worry about it much. People make out to be something more than what it is. Voltage, itself wont hurt anything...it's electical current that will hurt you. So unless you give that voltage a path to ground then there shouldnt be too much worry.

woody189

I'm not so sure. I don't have any experience in this stuff, but I do think there has to be something wrong with the heater. I have another heater in the sump and it's not giving off any thing crazy.
Total I have 3 ph's, 1 heater, return pump, and skimmer and they all total 2 volts. I don't think it makes sense that a single heater would give off 25, especially since I have an identical heater in the sump.
I'm not sure when things get dangerous, but I'd rather not chance it. I have another heater that was chewed up by my dog. I'm just gonna rewire it and throw it in and see if there's any stray voltage. If there is, I'll just buy a new one or just rely on one heater for a while.
Thanks again

2quills

A couple of things here...are you taking the voltage readins in the sump and display while the heaters are running? As mentioned,voltage radiates out from its source so the closer to the device that you are the higher the readings will be, typically. Its the very same principles at play if ever youve used a non contact voltage detector. The closer you get, the stronger the signal. Again. Id check while the heaters are running and also while theyre not to get the best picture of what is really going on.

woody189

Im confused. Now even with the heater plugged in I'm getting just under 2 volts. IDK what's going on. Either way, I plan on checking regularly and I just put in a GFCI and I ordered a grounding probe.
I'm certain though, that before with the heater plugged in I had 27 volts and after I unplugged it, it immediately went down to 2.

2quills

If you're not seeing over 40v then dont worry about. Voltage that low is effectively harmless. Thats why I said dont freak out. :)