How do nanotanks work?

Hey everyone. I hope I can get some answers for this. I've been itching to create a reef tank. I have a 20 gallon with LR and LS with 3 fish, a shrimp and snails. As I've surfed through the other sites doing some homework on a reef tank, the impression that i got was that I can't really get the necessary equipment until i've invested in a much bigger tank. Now I've seen these nanotanks and suddenly I'm confused? How do they pull of nanoreef tanks? What goes into them? How can they work? Lastly, can I convert my 20 gallon into a "nanotank"

K

krustytheclownfish

Nothing really special about a nano tank. The size is the only difference. The basic needs are the same as with a larger tank. The big thing is with the lower volume of water, bad things can happen quick. Keeping up on maintenance is extra important in small tanks.
John

crazy4reefs

like krusty said you need to try to stay on top of the maintenance. i do a 10% water change every week. for equipment i just have the pc's a filter and powerheads. i am going to add a small 10 gallon sump so i can add my protein skimmer and get the filter out of the main tank. i had a 46 gallon bow but for some reason i enjoy the my 20 gallon tank more.

laddy

Water changes, water changes, water changes.........:yes:
I believe (personal opinion here, not reflective of Nano owners here, there of anywhere), but, the upkeep time and expense is all relative to each owner. I personally do a 10% water change in my ten every week like clockwork, top off with RO water everyday, and add Alk/Calc twice a week--to some that may be too much time, but to me I enjoy the maintenance and monthly water readings I take. To me, that's the hobby. I know some other people who maintain 100g reef tanks who love the fact they only have to mess with it twice a month, and can't figure out what the big deal is with a nano. I like it though.
Hey crazy4reefs--are you going to be DYI your sump?

So what are my basic equipment requirements to maintain a nano reef tank? Also, can you describe the type of filter i would need. I assume its more than a whisper or a penguin filter...

crazy4reefs

yeah, i am going to use a 10 gallon and i want to get a cpr overflow. like you said i do enjoy doing the maintenance. i do the waterchange every sunday, check my levels the following morning and adjust. i dont think a day goes by without me doing something on the tank.
DefntleyMaybe79, i do use a whisper filter always have with no problems. and i think with a small tank you can get away with some of the cheaper protein skimmer. i am going to use my seaclone 150.

clarkiiclo

Sorry to Hijack but crazy what is that lovely red/pink thing on the left side of the tank in the substrate?

crazy4reefs

that would be my red brain, i dont have the full technical name though. i am amazed by the color myself. it wasnt like that until i put it in my 20 gallon tank in the sand.. thanks :)