how do we get a siphon started on the overflow box

72olds455

The 2 ways that have worked for me are using an empty water bottle to squrit water into it, and a better way is to flip it upside down and put some plactic over the ends held with rubberbands put it in its place then remove the plastic.

boozzbro

attach the airline tubing to a venturi pump until all the water is pumped out then attach the tubing to an air check valve so the water wont leak out.
they also sell the little air pump dinger that does all this for you. i think its like 35 bucks. it continiuosly sucks the air out of the overflow and when water starts comming though it sends it back into the tank. THis way after a power outtage the siphon automatically restarts.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by 72olds455
The 2 ways that have worked for me are using an empty water bottle to squrit water into it, and a better way is to flip it upside down and put some plactic over the ends held with rubberbands put it in its place then remove the plastic.
Sorta my trick as well, but I just take plastic wrap and (Reynolds wrap) it will cling automatically so no need for rubber bands, but I take the U tube and submerge it in the tank and tilt and flip it upside down underwater to get the air bubble out, and while still submerged I put a piece of plastic wrap on 1 end and then double check air is out and put the other piece of plastic on the other end, and then place the U tube in it's place and once in place take the plastic wrap off the end closest to you and then take the plastic off the end farthest away from you and should start........

adesimone1

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Sorta my trick as well, but I just take plastic wrap and (Reynolds wrap) it will cling automatically so no need for rubber bands, but I take the U tube and submerge it in the tank and tilt and flip it upside down underwater to get the air bubble out, and while still submerged I put a piece of plastic wrap on 1 end and then double check air is out and put the other piece of plastic on the other end, and then place the U tube in it's place and once in place take the plastic wrap off the end closest to you and then take the plastic off the end farthest away from you and should start........
Thanks, I think I will do that next time. I hate the salt water in my mouth ( burned my lip
) lol

compjtc

wow, i probabably would have tried some of those approaches. I did it by the stick an air hose up to the top of it and then suck all the air out. Got a good mouthful of saltwater in the process. (important to have a good beer or something near buy to get the taste out of your mouth :) )

fgcu14

Originally Posted by compjtc
wow, i probabably would have tried some of those approaches. I did it by the stick an air hose up to the top of it and then suck all the air out. Got a good mouthful of saltwater in the process. (important to have a good beer or something near buy to get the taste out of your mouth :) )
I also did this. I think its alot easier than the above methods, and if you watch where the water is in the hose you can avoid the water in the mouth. But still keep the beer close by.

adesimone1

Originally Posted by fgcu14
I also did this. I think its alot easier than the above methods, and if you watch where the water is in the hose you can avoid the water in the mouth. But still keep the beer close by.

Thanks guys lol