how do you add water to your tank?

lytic

what process do you all go to to keep water in your fish only tanks (to combat evaporation, ect).

kdlbem

There's a piece of tape on my sump that marks the level I like to keep the water. I top off every day or two with RODI water. I dump it in slowly over the pump for the skimmer so it mixes in the skimmer before it gets to the tank. HTH,
B

goofieones

I also have a piece of tape on the sump, so I know how much water to add. Usually if I am only adding a little, I add it directly to the tank.

old salt

Remember that when topping off evaporation DO NOT add salt... only when doing a water change...
you might know this but it's worth saying....

lytic

does anyone else use the salt from salt creep to put back in when filling the tank?
this a good or bad thing to do?

shel

I have a line drawn in red on my sump to the level I like. I add RDO water in the morning to the sump to top off. I keep the RDO water in a spare room so it is not to warm or cold. (I really do not have the problem with it being to cold. Not living in Arizona. LOL :rolleyes: )
Shel

old salt

Everything I've read, either in books or on this board says it is good to scrape the salt and put it back in the tank... I believe what I read states that the salt crust isn't really all the salt, but just certain elements that you don't want to lose...

dathem

Hello,
I add water slowly to the outside power filter so that it mixes before entering the tank.

perps

Originally posted by Clueless:
<STRONG>Remember that when topping off evaporation DO NOT add salt... only when doing a water change...
you might know this but it's worth saying....</STRONG>
Are you seroius? i always make a mixture of salt.. check the PH and make sure its close or equal to the tank.. I never knew i just had to dump water in.. :confused:

old salt

Perps
I'm no expert, but the fact is that when water evaporates, the salt STAYS in the tank... so if you add salt, you increase salinity/specific gravity...

old salt

Of course you don't want to just dump tap water in... the best is to use RO (reverse osmosis filtered) water... or tap water that has sat for a few day... declorinate, etc... get a good book...