How do you attach Ricordia to rock?

perchpsk

I just purchased 10 ricordias and I want to attach them to rocks before I add them to my tank. Any advise on how to best attach them? Mesh, fishing string, rubber bands, other?
The more details the better.
Thanks in advance!!!

wax32

If you don't have a lot of flow just toss em in. They will find a spot.

OR, put them on a rock and wrap with mesh and rubberband lightly. If they have any sand stuck to their stalk you can super glue the sand to a rock and they might stick.

perchpsk

I want to attach them to rocks before adding them to the main tank. I have a high flow in my reef tank. So I should just mesh/band them to the rocks? I plan on keeping them in my refugium until they attach.
How long do I need to keep them tied up before they will be attached???

reefiness

is there a little rock or piece of substare that the ric is holding onto or is it totaly loose?
if it has something then use super glue gel

perchpsk

the ricordias are all totally loose, should i still super glue them. Do I glue them outside of water, or in the water?

hot883

Originally Posted by perchpsk
the ricordias are all totally loose, should i still super glue them. Do I glue them outside of water, or in the water?
Pat them dry with a paper towel and the piece of lr as well. Then apply the super glue GEL.

reefiness

Originally Posted by hot883
Pat them dry with a paper towel and the piece of lr as well. Then apply the super glue GEL.
i dont think that super glue sticks to muchrooms. Id say fishing line, get a sewing needle and put the fushing line on it then just sew through the shroom so the line goes through it then tie it to a rock.

wax32

If you have a fuge with low flow, just lay the Ricordea on a rock and they will attach in a day or two, I do this with mushrooms in my fuge.

chipmaker

Super glue does not hold at all on shrooms etc....unless it has a bit of substrate on the bottom. But on a bare poly, its not going to hold. Like trying to glue snot.
Best simplest method I have found that works and works well and is easy is to use is with hypodermic needles or dress maker pins. Cut a small piece of rubber band about 1/8/ x 1/8 or 1/4 x 1/4 inches square (like the rubber bands critters are sealed in the bags with) and insert needle or pin through the middle of the rubber piece, insert needle or pin though polyp as close to mouth but not through the mouth, and place polyp on the rock and push / twist pin or needle into the rock. Live rock is relatively soft and easy to get a pin or needle into. Once its pinned in place slide piece of rubber band down to snug polyp against rock , within 5 to 7 days slide rubber band up and see if polyp is adhered to rock, if so pull pin or needle out, if not leave it in for a day or two longer and recheck. Putting a pin or needle through them is not a problem and in no way causes them any harm. They are fragged every day by folks by cutting them up into pieces and they grow back just fine, and a simple pin or needle in them is not gonna even make em notice. Sure beats that netting and wrapping with rubber bands etc . Look for stainless steel dress maker pins if you can not get needles locally. I use insulin needles and they are perfect size.