How do you best clean a tank lid?

yossaria

Hi all,
I have a glass plate that I use as an aquarium tank lid. I had it cut to fit my tank and it is supported by the inner lip of the tank walls. This places the lid approximately three quarters of an inch above the water surface. Over the years, a white haze of deposits has accumulated and making the glass less optically transparent. I believe that this is cutting down significantly on the amount of light that reaches my corals. I have tried using cleaners to solubilize this deposit but have not been successful. I am getting ready to simply replace the lid, but before I do I thought I would ask here for any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Yoss

flower

Originally Posted by Yossaria
http:///forum/post/3216054
Hi all,
I have a glass plate that I use as an aquarium tank lid. I had it cut to fit my tank and it is supported by the inner lip of the tank walls. This places the lid approximately three quarters of an inch above the water surface. Over the years, a white haze of deposits has accumulated and making the glass less optically transparent. I believe that this is cutting down significantly on the amount of light that reaches my corals. I have tried using cleaners to solubilize this deposit but have not been successful. I am getting ready to simply replace the lid, but before I do I thought I would ask here for any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Yoss

Those glass tops are a pain on a saltwater tank. However…C.L.R will clean it good as new…RINSE and rinse again and again
. CLR is supposed to be safe for natural systems but I would not trust it, so thats why I say rinse it allot.. After cleaning or replacing
…running hot water on it once a week will prevent the buildup in the first place.

bla403

Razor blade works for me without any solvents. Just try to use a new one and get one of the holders for it so you can put a little pressure on it.

yossaria

I have tried glacial acetic acid and hydrochloric acid diluted to less than 1 normal but these treatments didn't work. Maybe I need to soak the glass longer to get what I assume is a calcium salt dissolved. I have not tried C L R. I think one of my grad students has some that I can try. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yoss

scopus tang

Vinegar solution, let it sit overnight, wipe off with a damp rag. Be sure and rinse it good before putting it back on the tank.

jackri

I agree with take the glass top off... if you want to use it nothing beats a razor blade or a soak in vinegar. Razor blades will not scratch glass (unless you really try and use it the wrong way)