How Do you Catch Damsels w/Live rock in Tank

Need some advice here... I had purchased some starter fish- domino damsals, a few all blue and a few blue w/yellow tails. Well , There is too much chasing going on, which is driving some of my other more docile fish about, my clown is forever jumping up + down protecting his anomene. How do I catch them? I tried with a net- they all just disapeered into the live rock. I would hope that no one suggests taking out the live rock as I have a 125 gal tank with some landscaping about the rocks. HELP!!!!

texasmetal

Your worst fear is confirmed. You're going to have to pull all the rock out. There are fish traps, but you would probably catch every other fish first.

el guapo

your going to have to pull the rock out . Only other option IMO is buying a big undulated trigger .
seriously as bad as its going to suck your going to have to take out the rock . Hopefully you learned a leason about damsels .

srfisher17

Here's a copy of something I've posted many times. If your lfs sold you these demonic fish as "cycle starters"; I'd politely tell them they're nuts and have them remove them.
This may have been me, I always suggest this; but most people think its
silly...until they try it. Tiny hook (hair hook, used to catch bait. Flatten the
barb and bait with a bit of raw shrimp..after the little monster has been eating
it for a day or two. A lfs called me several times, when I I lived in another
state, to help them get unwanted fish out of customer's tanks (almost always
damsels). I never failed, nor hurt a fish (much). I think this one of the most
common questions on this forum. I suspect it is often the result of lfs selling
damsels as "cycle starters".. I'll bet I've posted this reply 20 times; I'm
going to copy & save it...I type very slowly. BTW, I never heard from anyone
that tried this and failed, but have heard several success stories. IMO, it is
no big deal on the fish, far less stressful ,(on the damsel AND tankmates),than chasing them around for hours or dismantling the tank.

I am looking forward to a good fishing tornemant with my 5 yr old grand daughter! She kicks @ the fishing derbys for her age group! This ought to be quite a site!!! Much better than taking out ALL the rock AGHHHHHHHHH. That could take hrs even to catch those little beast(ards) in a 125 gal tank. Thanks for for Thread-
***If it works- I'll owe you a fish sandwich!!!

srfisher17

BTW, the real key to this working is to get the damsels used to eating the "bait" before you go fishing. Feed nothing but little bits of shrimp, or whatever, for a few days, skip a feeding or two, then they should be easy. With 6 or so to catch; a few may catch on and you'll have to wait & try again---or try other methods....Good luck!

ironeagle2006

Do what I did get a LARGE like 7 inch porcupine puffer then QT it then do not feed him for the few days of QT add him to your tank and BANGO problem solved.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/2648331
Do what I did get a LARGE like 7 inch porcupine puffer then QT it then do not feed him for the few days of QT add him to your tank and BANGO problem solved.
She has other small fish.

U

usirchchris

I took my LR out to catch mine to move to another tank. Had to move around 100 lbs of LR and it really only took 20 mins or so. Setting it back up is another story...but it was not horrible. Just pull it and get 2 nets going you will have it out in no time
. Think of all the time you will waste thinking about and attempting alternatives.

I had the same problem a long time ago. I bought another net and was able to chase it from one net into the second net without having to move any rock around.