How do you cut frags off an anemone to reproduce?

jargon

Originally Posted by ronald_mauldin@hotmail
well if anybody wants a followup, I cut a small piece from the base of one of my anemone and my anemone is doing great as always and the small section I cut off is sticky and has not turned white. It has only been three days will let you know if a clone reproduces from the section of foot.

If that doesn't work, it's actually a very common technique to slice an anemone in half vertically with a very sharp razor blade or scalpel (make sure to go through the middle of the mouth).
As long as you keep the water quality excellent and there are no predators in the tank, both halves should regrow fully.

evilbob22

lol Jargon's response is basically the opposite of what "the gang" has been saying. Personally, I have no idea how well anenomies frag (nor am I inclined to try it), so I won't add to that part. But... in regard to the over-simplification to fragging corals, I do know that you can cut shrooms in half - right through the mouth - to frag them, so there are exceptions. (Not that shrooms won't reproduce like crazy on their own...
)

diane4

You can't and shouldn't attempt to frag an anemone. Keep them well, good water quality and good food, circulation and lighting and nature will cause splitting.
PLLLEEEEAAAAZZZEE don't cut the poor little guy.

T

thomas712

Wow this is an ancient thread, perhaps we should get an ancient mod to answer like Beth

However I have read a few articles on this myself, and the survival rate was very dismal. Put it this way, If it were successful/possible then I'd be rich and have my own business.
Thomas

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Put it this way, If it were successful/possible then I'd be rich and have my own business.
Thomas
Thomas you don't NEED to frag the anemones to start a business! You already have more in your tank than ANY LFS in THIS area!!!
Whaddya up to now like 15?? lOL

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Whaddya up to now like 15?? lOL
Over 20, I have to do something soon.

T

thomas712

Local fish store? I've taken some down there before, he doesn't need anymore.